Thread: CalTrout is doing their part to help the salmon & steelhead

Default CalTrout is doing their part to help the salmon & steelhead

http://www.vimeo.com/11509224

Maybe we need to recognize that there are some positive things happening too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Cal trout doing there part

I recently saw several posters on this board saying that Cal trout doesn't represent most fisherman. Just a bunch of elitist addressing items with big star power. I was thinking of contributing to Cal Trout but had reservation after reading the posts on this board. I personally think they do good work, definitely more than 90% of most flyfisherman ever do. Times being what they are my donation money is somewhat diminished so I want the biggest bang for my buck. Any suggestions or should I just spread it all out a little thinner?

The biggest disappointment recently is that they have not participated in the FERC relicensing meetings that have been going on every week since February... I know several of our club members did not renew their Cal Trout memberships as a result.

Where you spread your money truly depends on the cause you wish to support.There are SO many NGOs out there that are doing good work. I know our club focused this year on the smaller organizations, since they normally have the toughest time obtaining their funding. The best advice I can give you is find out what each organization is focusing on, and donate to the organization that you most identify with.
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

That's a great video, Bill! Thanks for posting that. I sure hope a few more dams come down in the near future. Aren't they looking at removing 4 dams on the Klamath over the next 10 years or so?
    Anyway, I know they've taken a bashing from some people here, but I still donate to Cal Trout. This video makes me feel like I'm supporting something good.

I heard the Klamath Dam removal is a ruse to get the buy in of groups like CalTrout, so they don't oppose Feinstein/Schwarzenegger's New Peripheral Canal? Anybody else hear of this?

True and false. The Klamath River dam removal agreement is a ruse (true) but not for the buy-in reason you postulated (false). The ruse is PPL only agreed to the dam removal effort because their dams are not capable of acquiring new FERC licenses (W/O investing a ton of their own money) due to environmental regulations (like the Clean Water Act), and the dam(n) removal agreement gives them 10 additional years to violate those environmental regulations and operate their dams however they want. All of the NGO's are falling all over themselves for PPL, because they want credit for "pushing" the dam removal, not because they are going to support the peripheral canal, which most of them will not support (or whatever form the canal ends up being).