Thanks Darian. While it is imperative that we, as individuals, offer “encouragement” to individual fishers by sharing our knowledge with them regarding redds, handling of fish and all other ground level events, the most devastating problems are of a much larger scope. Habitat degradation, pollution and flows have numerous over arching issues that affect most who live in California. Organization is a necessity if fish and wildlife in this state is to survive and, hopefully, some day flourish.

I spend many hours volunteering in Trout in the Classroom venues. While many kids are appear attentive only because they are not plugged into a gaming or audio devise I have often heard, “This is the best field trip ever”, or “Hey Mr. B look at this Mayfly larva.” “How do you know it is a Mayfly?” “Because it has six legs and three tails. I can see its gills moving!” We can only hope that these kids will be allowed to develop their curiosity and fondness for nature, in particular fish and their interrelated species.

We have to be vigilant and dutiful in our quest but we need also to understand that somehow the message has to influence those who never touch a fly rod.