Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving the Beaches at Pyramid

Most cell phones will not work at Pyramid Lake......so don't get stuck....you might check out the points. between the bays.

Be very careful driving without 4WD. You can be on what looks like solid ground and then up to axles in the soft clay that looks dry on top.

Verizon cell users now get good reception at the lake and AT&T users get sporadic coverage. A buddy of mine with Verizon now gets 5 bars at the lake. Verizon has apparently added or upgraded their tower.

In 1996 a friend of mine got a $120 ticket for helping get somebody out of the sand (after we told the people not to drive off the road). When they got stuck we told them we could only take them back to Suttcliffe to call the tribal towers. They couldn't believe that we wouldn't tow them out. After much begging we relented and the good deed got my friend the ticket. Luckily the English couple gave him the money for the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Evison View Post
    Be very careful driving without 4WD. You can be on what looks like solid ground and then up to axles in the soft clay that looks dry on top.

Verizon cell users now get good reception at the lake and AT&T users get sporadic coverage. A buddy of mine with Verizon now gets 5 bars at the lake. Verizon has apparently added or upgraded their tower.

In 1996 a friend of mine got a $120 ticket for helping get somebody out of the sand (after we told the people not to drive off the road). When they got stuck we told them we could only take them back to Suttcliffe to call the tribal towers. They couldn't believe that we wouldn't tow them out. After much begging we relented and the good deed got my friend the ticket. Luckily the English couple gave him the money for the ticket.
    So was the ticket for driving off the road then? Or for hijacking their racket?

Interesting...

I'll make sure to keep in the wheel tracks of the big motorhomes that make it to the beach!

_SHig

The more I hear about Pyramid, the less I want to go there.

I have heard people say that you can'tn tow someone out that you will be ticketed. I called the ranger station and asked and you can pull someone out that is stuck. If you need a tow truck it has to be a tribal tow truck or you will be ticketed. If you get stuck and need a tow truck it has to be a tribal tow co and same if you break down and need a tow, you can't use AAA or a reno tow co. But the ranger station says you can get yourself unstuck and you can use recovery straps etc and anyone can help you push the vehicle out or pull it out with their 4wd vehicle.
    Air down to 12 pounds if you get stuck.
    You should have a shovel and be prepared to deal with getting stuck.
    There is a lot of sand, stay on the road.

Just exercise caution and some common sense and don't risk any questionable areas and you will be fine with 2wd. The sand is pretty firm overall at pyramid compared to sugar sand on the east coast.
    Most people when they begin to get stuck tend to gun it. If you do this in soft sand you will bury it to the axle and then you will need a tow truck.
    If you begin to get stuck and the wheels are spinning, stop. Get out of the vehicle and air down to 12 pounds. In the least You should carry a tire gauge, recovery strap, shovel, jack, spare. A tire inflator is nice. I have one and it is nice to have. I maintain my tire pressure for maximum life and when I go close to the water in the sand I can air down and reinflate easily. There is Air at the store next to the ranger station next to the gas pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by SHigSpeed View Post

Interesting...

I'll make sure to keep in the wheel tracks of the big motorhomes that make it to the beach!

_SHig

Quote Originally Posted by SHigSpeed View Post

Interesting...

_SHig

4WD is no guarantee of not getting stuck. I was up there last week and drove onto the beach near Popcorn rock. There was a guy in a 4wd Durango stuck in the sand to his axles. I offered to call someone but he said he had a friend coming. Along comes his friend in a 4WD F250 and he promptly got stuck in the sand too. Made me think of lemmings or the tar pits or something. I ended up calling for a tow for them and can confirm that the ATT coverage is weak.

A few years ago I was driving along the beach with 4WD at Warrior Point and following someones tracks and got stuck to my axles in mud. I was able to get the tribal guy to come out on Easter as it was getting dark and he pulled me out after much difficulty. He could have charged me anything but ended up charging me something like $120. It would have been a lot more if someone from Reno had come out.

In fairness to the tribe, it is their land and we are guests there. Historically, we have done plenty to mess up their lake... like make the lahontans go extinct.

Quote Originally Posted by leicafish View Post
    4WD is no guarantee of not getting stuck.
    I have owned many 4WD vehicles over the years, and I have become convinced that 4WD mostly allows you to get stuck in places where nobody can help you.

So, I carried a Hi-Lift jack, carpeting, shovels and had a big ass Warn winch on the bumper along with tow straps and shackles and you name it.

4WD can definitely give you a false sense of security.

Default Driving in the Sand

I'll to your list about the warn winch, add a good danforth (sp?) type boat anchor the type with big flat blades to use in the sand..... as there are no trees at pyramid! Victor

Im glad this post was started because I have been fishing Pyramid and I have been kind of afraid to hit some of the beaches because I only have a little 2wd Ranger Pick up. Do you guys think it's safe to drive my 2wd to Pelican? I really dont want to take a chance on getting stuck.