Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Years of Waiting

Default 3 Years of Waiting

I've fished the San Lorenzo River in the Santa Cruz Mountains off and on the past three years. I finally landed my first adult on the river Saturday night. I probably averaged at least 5 trips/year during steelhead season, although this season I only managed to get out there three times.

I decided to make a run Saturday afternoon and was pleasantly surprised at the lack of crowds. The water was the highest I had ever fished it ~350 cfs. Water color was perfect with about 2-2.5 feet of visibility. I think the high water levels scared off a bunch of people but it actually made fly fishing easier since the traditional holes were more like runs. I walked about a mile in from where I parked my car at a popular hole. It looked great but no one was home.

With these high water levels, swinging flies is quite possible, the normal holes that were usually 50 feet long were now runs that were 50 yards long, perfect for swinging. Unfortunately didn't have any of my versileaders or a line that could turn over a big fly so I stuck with the indicator.

I made my way downstream noting the areas that I normally fish were ripping with flow 3 times what I normally fish. I made my way to one of the most popular holes on the river, if not the most popular. I started my way at the top and worked my way down. I got down to where the rocks dumped into a deep hole and this would have been the end of the line. I fished this hard since I knew if there was a fish in the river it would be here.

I finally got a good drift along the far seam and my indicator slowly dipped about 50 feet below me. I set the hook and a there was a huge swoosh in the water. After being skunked so many times on the river I was sort of in denial of an actual adult fish hitting my offering. I knew what it was but I still didn't believe it. I kept on saying it was a smolt but my 7 wt was bent way too much for that.

The fish didn't really fight much at first. It acted like it didn't even know it was hooked. I got it almost to the leader when all hell broke loose. The fish saw me and made a run downstream almost into the rapids below. I put the brakes on figuring I'd either break it off or stop it. Well in case you were wondering, I stopped it. But once I did that it zoomed upstream jumping into an overhanging tree upstream of me. I thought for sure that I had lost the fish due to the huge belly in the line from the fish. It was awesome seeing my line and rod bent 45 degrees downstream and the fish jumping 45 degrees upstream of me.

That was the biggest scare of the fight. The fight then turned into a tug of war with the fish making a few more runs towards the rapids but I stopped it each time. I slowly brought the fish in eventually it turned on its side, meaning it was done. I now had another problem. The rock I was standing on where I hooked, fought, and then had to land the fish was on the edge of a huge hole with nowhere to go. It probably took me 5 or 6 tries to slide the fish into an area where I could tail it.

I finally put my hand around its tail and saw my rig firmly embedded in the top jaw of the fish. It looked to be in the bony part of the mouth, that fish wasn't going anywhere with that hookset. After taking a few pictures I let the chrome wild hen go. She was right around 27" and about 7 or 8 pounds. A perfect fish to end my 3 year drought.

Apologies for the pictures again, taken with my cell phone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0306001626b.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	1404   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0306001627a.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	1405   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0306001630.jpg 
Views:	615 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	1406   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0306001628.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	1407  

Awesome! That's a toad. Sounds like you earned it too.

Thumbs up

Congrats Chris! Your dedication was rewarded with a beautiful catch. Sweet.
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Default Nice fish!

I live on the river and this last weekend was the best of the season. You were lucky you went Sat. as there were big crowds on Sunday.

Exclamation

Great story. I am glad that your persistence paid off. BTW, which type of fly did you use???

Default San Lorenzo

Nice Fish,,,,It is worth the wait, I was out sunday morning and saw one guy hook 4 fish in one slot...I like the higher water too....To bad we don't have a couple more weeks of the season..

Well done! You are now 1 fish ahead of most guys who fish the SLR. Good going...-mike

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I wish I could have fished both days since it looked like it was going to be epic. Sent a buddy on Sunday to the same spot and he hooked a fish about the same size within 20 feet of mine.

Fish was caught on an egg pattern. More specifically a steelhead-sized bead.

Bobber and bead?

Awww : (

....only kidding. Ernie uses luers...

Quote Originally Posted by wjorg View Post
    Bobber and bead?

Awww : (

....only kidding. Ernie uses luers...
    Remembering back 30 years..... The effectual outfit on the SLR was a Fenwick Glass fly rod and a Plueger Medalist filled with mono while swinging a silver spin/glo or plunking a flat fish.

I'm talking about fishing the "gorge" of course. Oh, and nobody made clothing warm and dry enough 30 years ago for me to be comfortable standing in that gorge. <grin> Today, there are all kinds of neat lightweight cold weather outfits that would do the trick.

Beautiful steelhead, by the way. Congratulations. That is a classic SLR fresh run steelhead.
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 03-10-2010 at 10:38 AM.