Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deer Hair Diver

Nice hairstackin' Hairstacker.....

Hey Fats,
    Rubber legs add a lot of life to them bugs for sure...But they are a "pain in the you know what" to tie in...

Mike
    Last edited by Mike McKenzie; 03-15-2010 at 07:50 PM.

Ahhh... the sweet frustration. I have a Dave Whitlock VHS tape where he shows a technique of taking a largish needle and using it to "Thread" the legs through the body of a hair bug. I've done it on a couple of flies and it has worked out ok.

Jimmy Nix was good at trimming up bugs without cutting off the rubber legs as well.

My wife swears by bugs with rubber legs. She things they pack "mojo" which bass find endearing!
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by Fats View Post
    Ahhh... the sweet frustration. I have a Dave Whitlock VHS tape where he shows a technique of taking a largish needle and using it to "Thread" the legs through the body of a hair bug. I've done it on a couple of flies and it has worked out ok.
    I never could do the needle thing....
    I just tie 'em in with an overhand knot on the hook shank...When trimmin' the hair I'll pull 'em out of the way and hold 'em in place with a small alligator clip. Nothin' I hate worse than one little slip-up and a leg or two (or all) are gone!

Default divers with rubbers

Mike

You like this diver? I tie them the same way with a overhand knot. Have not lost much rubber to the fish but the razor has a few!!!!

See you on the delta
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	207 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	1430  

Steve,

Is that a "deep throat" diver? This year we've gotta' get together..You know where!!

Mike

Hairstacker, your name fits to a tea. That is one nice tie. I'll take on
    most difficult flies, but that one looks tough. And the tutorials I have
    found are quite long, thus my apprehension.

What size hook did you use for that fly?

EO

Steve P., Fats, Mike M., EO, thanks, really appreciate the very kind comments!

Mike M. -- Outstanding fly you tied there! The eyes definitely give it a more complete appearance and now you've got me looking into my rubber legs collection. Although I can't see Steve's fly tucked in the back of that bass, I have no doubt it's world-class, as Steve's reputation always precedes him.

EO -- The fly I pictured is tied on a size 2/0 Gamakatsu B10S hook. It is exactly the same size and configuration as a size 2 Tiemco TMC8089 hook, although the Gamakatsu's wire is slighly thicker and stiffer. I use both interchangeably for these flies.

For me, the most challenging part of tying these flies is getting the different colors to line up well and clean and have them appear where I intended them to. But aside from colors, tying basic deer hair divers is not that difficult -- if you know basic fly tying and can hold a bunch of hair against the hook with one hand while you toss a few thread wraps around it and cinch it down tight without letting the hair move, well then you've already got what it takes. I say, give it a go!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.