Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DFG should manage stripers like weeds

I also think it is way too early to jump Marty's case.

Newspaper writers get all kinds of stuff wrong.

As a whole, I think our CA DFG is pretty screwed up, but on the individual level, there are many fine biologists in the department doing good work.

I recently had a nice email exchange with Marty regarding how the juvenile striper indices were conducted. In this exchange Marty used the phrase: "Stripers will grow like weeds if given the chance" when addressing my question of whether he thought the delta striper fishery had a future. I bring this up because people often repeat the same thing and a similar statement in a department email could have easily been taken out of context.

Anyway, like everyone else I am holding my breath on this one, although I am fairly confident that judge Wanger will see in the data that scapegoating striped bass is total BS. Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Finsallaround View Post
    This study shows that the majority of their diet 2001-2003 was threadfin shad and siberian prawn....

Diet Composition study in San Francisco Estuary Striped Bass: Does trophic adaptability have its limits?

Very.
    Just because salmon or smelt are not the majority doesn't mean there aren't impacts...remember we are talking about endangred species (there aren't many of them left) they couldn't possibly constitute the majority of their diet. Even if these species only made up say %5 of the diet (hypothetical numbers here) that may make up %25 of the population...there is an impact...simply stating that the majority of their diet was other species means nothing

The 'dog gots it right!!! There's this thing called the Endangered Species Act, which comes in to play big time. All the water users have to do is prove that stripers are preying on endangered species and bingo, game over for stripers. And guess what, that ain't going to be hard to prove!!! Doesn't matter that the Delta got all screwed up by massive water exports and stripers aren't really a significant cause in the decline of endangered species. Yeah the striper lawsuit is nothing but smoke and mirrors to hide the massive export of water causing environmental disaster in the Delta. If there is any significant predation on endangered species, DFG will be forced to manage the impact of those predators by the courts. Quite frankly, I see the originator of this thread accomplishing nothing but character assassination and really feel bad for Marty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Laskodi View Post
    .... There's this thing called the Endangered Species Act, which comes in to play big time. All the water users have to do is prove that stripers are preying on endangered species and bingo, game over for stripers. And guess what, that ain't going to be hard to prove!!!
    And here's where I have a problem finding an answer to the overall situation -

What DOESN'T eat endangered Salmon/Steelhead ?? Crayfish and Sculpin raiding redds , Suckers and Squawfish (both natives) eating eggs/Parr/Smolts , Kingfishers diving on Smolts , etc. . Where do we stop as far as thinning the predators ?? Remove the non-native Striped Bass that people spend $$$$ to fish for ? Remove the native Squawfish and Suckers that no one spends $$$ to fish for ( populations are huge of both species) ....

How about thinning/removing the one species that has contributed the most to ruining Salmon/Steelhead populations - Humans ??

Yes , I realize there isn't a practical answer , just thinkin' again .....

David

Default Predators vs. Pumps

Bob,

You're right on about a lot of stuff that's been said. The one thing that got me thinking was your statement about manageing predators by the DFG. I'm sure some of these delta smelt get eaton by just about every fish out there that's bigger than they are. But, what predator is the greatest threat? I would think black bass are a bigger threat there because of their permanent residence in the delta. Their habitat is where these smelt live, hide and feed.

I think and even bigger predator are the pumps down there which are non-discriminately consuming everything and anything that gets to their intakes. Not only would this include the delta smelt, but the fry of all species including salmon and steelhead that depend on currant flow to carry them out to sea. With the re-direction of currant flows caused by the water exports south, there is less natural flow to carry the fry in the driection they need to go in order to survive and sustain its species. Those fry that get sucked south never get to help with the survival of any of their own kind.

And, it all comes back to water. Those with water live and grow, those with less water dwindle and die. With such a huge population increase coming into California from across our southern border how can we possibly support both factions, nature vs. people?
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Tony, all of the studies I'm aware of right now are only focusing on stripers. One study underway is doing DNA analysis of stomach contents of hook and line caught stripers in order to determine exactly what species they are eating and how much, since it's hard to look at a stomach sample and decide what that glob really is. And three guesses who's funding these studies (you won't need three guesses!!). And you bet, I agree that black bass are likely eating endangered species also, since that makes sense since they are opportunistic feeders like stripers. They likely will be next on the hit list because they are also a non-native species.

I think we all agree that big ag water diversions are the real criminal. Right now salmon are faced with the perfect storm of issues..diversions being the primary culprit, but predation and ocean conditions contribute. Bottom line...WESTLANDS are the biggest scoundrels on the planet, in my eyes anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by David Lee View Post
    And here's where I have a problem finding an answer to the overall situation -

What DOESN'T eat endangered Salmon/Steelhead ?? Crayfish and Sculpin raiding redds , Suckers and Squawfish (both natives) eating eggs/Parr/Smolts , Kingfishers diving on Smolts , etc. . Where do we stop as far as thinning the predators ?? Remove the non-native Striped Bass that people spend $$$$ to fish for ? Remove the native Squawfish and Suckers that no one spends $$$ to fish for ( populations are huge of both species) ....

How about thinning/removing the one species that has contributed the most to ruining Salmon/Steelhead populations - Humans ??

Yes , I realize there isn't a practical answer , just thinkin' again .....

David
    Thank you David!
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

Quote Originally Posted by David Lee View Post

David
    Yes, "humans", the ultimate parasitic species..... especially the greedy water grabbers to the south.
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 03-01-2010 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matt johnson View Post
    I also think it is way too early to jump Marty's case.

Newspaper writers get all kinds of stuff wrong.
    Matt may have hit the nail on the head. Investigative Journalism is a thing of the past; double sourcing information and fact checking are only legend now.

I don't remember such a big to do about Stripers 20-25 years ago, but back then I was young and dumb, and didn't pay attention to conservation matters. Now I'm old and dumb. Any of you guys and gals that were around back then remember such a fuss? I'm inclined to go with the majority on this one; it's a smoke screen for water exports.
    Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death, must answer me these questions three, ere the other side ye see.