Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stan...where was everyone?

We used to float that stretch of river quite often in years past and had the best fishing in March. We used a 16' Alumaweld drift boat and actually preffered the higher water. This was back in the mid to late 80's mind you, and we were definitly old school using type II shooting heads swinging and stripping sparse size 6 Silver Hiltons and Spruce flies. Never thought to use dry flies. The best fish were always over 20 inches but even then you found them only in certain runs. I do recall seeing a few local guys who always were dragging around what we called "weight limits". Those boys were deadly drifting single eggs in the hard to get to spots. May be part of the reason we don't have that great fishery anymore. Have not fished the Stan in several years now but would still try those old proven methods just to see. Have fun out there.

Default floating the stan

looking to broaden my horizons and float the lower stan.
    new (to me) and i'm needing to line up a shuttle.

i talked a rafting company and they suggested to use a local cab out of oakdale. i would prefer a local shuttle guy or gal. any leads?

I would be interested floating the river as well. I have a pontoon boat and trailer and can help with shuttle if interested.