Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stan...where was everyone?

Default Stan...where was everyone?

Just wanted to say that I hit the Stan last Saturday and didn't see a soul. Which of course is fine with me. The river was high and off color but the fishing was hot so I thought I would let people know. I would recommend fishing the "worm" hatch. Maybe even double rig them! Unorthodox, I think so.

Was the season closed? Only kidden.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Sure felt like it. If anything it was a little creepy.

Default The Stan...is... Loss

Hey Red...if you think Sat. was quiet you should fish it during the week like I do...2/3 times a week (only live 20 minutes for the river) and like you stated it is spooky quiet with no people, but that's just cool with my four footed fish finder and myself.

Monty
    I fish via the Criminal Justice system,"Catch and Release"

Default Hit the Stan Today

I was visiting some friends in Manteca and hit the Stan for a few hours this morning just below Goodwin Dam. Water seemed clearer (3'-4' vis), but up a few feet from the last time I fished it. And, yup, NO people. I met a couple of guys floating it in an inflatable kayak, but that was it.

I grabbed and released a fiesty 15" bow off a size 18 red midge at around 9 AM. Went downstream a bit and snapped my rod tip. My backcast grabbed a branch without my knowing it and SNAP! The last section of my rod broke completely in half. It wasn't even a forceful cast. And that was the good and bad of my day. At least Sage will cover it.

Does anyone know their turnaround time for repairs/replacements? Am I looking at under a month or over?

- Rick.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "I am haunted by waters." ~ Norman Maclean
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for the report! My sage went in last summer and was gone for about 6 weeks. Sorry for your broken tip. Did you have extra rod with you. Problem with the Stan is I am afraid to leave anything extra in the truck for fear of a break in. Dave

Default To Float or not to Float???

Was thinking of floatin the river tomorrow from Knights Ferry down. Seems like the fishing is decent but not lights out. Curious if you guys think it would be worth it to float it. I know that the fish should be in there due to it not being rafter season yet. Any advice is always appreciated.

according to cdec the river's at 800 cfs at orange blossom....blown out. I would float knights ferry down when the flows at obb are 300 cfs or lower. i floated that stretch about a month ago. water was in decent shape, not a ton of fish though, sadly, as it used to be really great through there. 4 of us each got one, nothing of size though. only saw but noe or two salmon as well...years past it was thick.

I am not to worried about the flows. I have had some epic days at 900cfs before. I do have to agree with the "It used to be good down there". I have not had a light out day on that river in a few years, I have been floating it for 11 years now. I hate to say but once the rafters starting going down the river seemed to be less productive that it used to be.

Wow thats a low number on the Salmon. Thats too bad to hear. I spoke to my shuttle person today and she said the river is running pretty clean so that is a plus. We are going head for it and give it a good shot. Last year at this time I landed an 18 1/2" Fin clipped Steelhead which was an interesting find. We got our fingers crossed and will report how we do.

What did you end up landing your fish on when you floated it Flyman? I am hoping for some BWO's.

Weather is calling for only 20% showers now so I got my fingers corssed.

Default Don't waste your time

Very slow day. Although we were able to raise some fish up to 14" on a mid day BWO hatch. Other than that water was a little off color and the fish were not active. We threw every fly in the box at em. Very slow day. We were still able to find fishable water with flows, but who knows why they didn't cooperate. Might have been the little front we had going on. Anyways gonna wait till it warms up more to fish it again.