Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sailor Bar Salmon Chasing

Default Sailor Bar Salmon Chasing

Don't know who this is, but it was taken at the top of the big island.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salmon Fisherman.jpg 
Views:	908 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	1269  
    Last edited by Buddy; 02-02-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Not a "Half=pounder".........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Cal Tip?
    I keep the number in my cell phone and have called in a couple of times. They have been good about getting back to me to try and correct the problems.
    1-888-334-2258

Default On a related note

I had the misfortune of hooking a salmon while fishing for steelhead on the Feather River last fall. I was targeting steelhead at the riffle by the cement plant.

Once I hooked it I had to land it. I tried to break it off, but 12# Maxima (for the big steelhead I'd hoped to hook) and the spey hooks by design don't give up easily.

I got a nasty note from another fisherman who saw this and accused me of breaking the law and targeting salmon.

Besides just not fishing when there are salmon in the river, how do you keep from hooking them while steelheading? Thanks.
    Last edited by chapmag; 02-03-2010 at 08:34 PM.
    Greg

Default Break it off

Not cool at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Don't know who this is, but it was taken at the top of the big island.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by chapmag View Post
    I had the misfortune of hooking a salmon while fishing for steelhead on the Feather River last fall. I was targeting steelhead at the riffle by the cement plant.

Once I hooked it I had to land it. I tried to break it off, but 12# Maxima (for the big steelhead I'd hoped to hook) and the spey hooks by design don't give up easily.

I got a nasty note from another fisherman who saw this and accused me of breaking the law and targeting salmon.

Besides just not fishing when there are salmon in the river, how do you keep from hooking them while steelheading? Thanks.
    What you wrote is what makes me upset about people jumping to conclusions. Imagine if someone called Cal Tip and an officer came out and gave you a hard time and possibly arrested you for something that you did not do on purpose. You would have to prove that what you did was correct and not wrong, just like the guy in the picture above. I hope I never hook into a salmon, because I would hate to get put down by people on a board for something I did not try to do.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    What you wrote is what makes me upset about people jumping to conclusions. Imagine if someone called Cal Tip and an officer came out and gave you a hard time and possibly arrested you for something that you did not do on purpose. You would have to prove that what you did was correct and not wrong, just like the guy in the picture above. I hope I never hook into a salmon, because I would hate to get put down by people on a board for something I did not try to do.

I agree.

Honestly, posting this picture and implying some sort of illicit activity without getting all the facts, is kind of slanderous.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    Seriously, sometimes people get a little high and mighty on this board (Not complaing about the board because I really like it and the people here have always been very helpful). I try not to say anything, but sometimes it just gets old.

You last three were reading my mind. That could be just one frame of an innocent incident.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

I'd have to agree. Who knows if he accidentally caught him and couldn't break it off.

Although, I sometimes wonder why people bring a fish up in what looks like a few inches of water instead of landing them somewhere better. I hate seeing what is supposed to be a released fish bouncing around on the rocks or a few inches of water.

But again, I don't know what took place before this to cause the fish to be there. Wasn't there to witness it. Maybe the fish ran itself aground in the shallow riffles.