Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sailor Bar Salmon Chasing

Quote Originally Posted by chapmag View Post
    I had the misfortune of hooking a salmon while fishing for steelhead on the Feather River last fall. I was targeting steelhead at the riffle by the cement plant.

Once I hooked it I had to land it. I tried to break it off, but 12# Maxima (for the big steelhead I'd hoped to hook) and the spey hooks by design don't give up easily.

I got a nasty note from another fisherman who saw this and accused me of breaking the law and targeting salmon.

Besides just not fishing when there are salmon in the river, how do you keep from hooking them while steelheading? Thanks.
    I hooked one last week swinging a fly. I let it nearly come to rest out of the current and into holding water behing and obstruction in the river where I hoped Mr. Steelhead was laying. A salmon was apparently laying there instead. I innocently snagged it (jumped out of the river several times, this is how you know you snagged it, they won't jump if hooked in the mouth).

I don't know how you can keep from hooking them, but I never fish a tippet stronger than 8lb Maxima on the American. Strong enough that I've never lost a fish by breakage, weak enough that a quick pull on a taunt line will break it. That's been my answer to this issue and it has worked for me more than once.

BTW, I only use 12lb Maxima to winch up my drift boat! That stuff is incredibly STRONG!
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

In AK, we would foul hook so many sockeye that I would start the day out with a 100 pack of bead hooks and hope that my 2 clients would have enough to finish the day. I was retying all day....what got annoying was when they wanted to fight the sockeye because allthe bows and dollies were getting boring.

When the salmon used to be thick on the Feather (think 2002), we would accidentally snag several salmon every day. Just point the rod at the fish, hold tight, and get ready to retie. So, seeing one guy hook a salmon ain't that big of a deal.

Mike
    Eat it. Eat it. Simon says EAT IT!!!

Default Nothing Implied

Hey guys,
    When I posted this picture, I wasn't implying that the guy was targeting salmon. I just liked the photo for the photo's sake. I don't know too many people that would purposely try and catch a yogurt head salmon.

Hey I don't know, nothing wrong with taking your salmon for a walk every now and then....
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

You would think by then....that he would have known what it was, and have broken it off. I've never had a fair hooked salmon do cartwheels in the gravel within the first minute of the fight....

Good thing he wasent taking a leak, someone might of thought he was flashing people.
    Last edited by Mr. Striper; 04-29-2010 at 09:36 AM.
    www.calfish.net. Catch & release for my kids & yours.www.calsport.org.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Striper View Post
    Good thing he wasent taking a leak, someone might of thought he was flashing people.
    That's funny!

Default get of the sofa

time to go fishing!

Considering the amount of spawned out nasty white salmon I have seen people bringing home on the River, noting really surprises me any more.

Probably one of the 125 guys bombing the stripers last summer all huddled into one spot.