Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spey Clave Update

Default Clave

I agree that competing with the inebriated rubber boat hatch in June might not be the best idea. It would be nice to have the Clave after the Spey-o-rama since it would give us a good venue to promote our event. I am a member of GGACC so I can spend a good amount of time promoting, giving out fliers, setting up an info table etc. at the o-rama.

Dates kindly provided by Don Powell:
    April 9, 10, 11 Spey O Rama
    April 17 Kiene's Annual Expo
    April 24 Trout season opener
    May 1, 2 Dec Hogan classes at Kiene's
    May 8, 9 Open?
    May 14, 15 16 Sandy River Spey Clave
    May 21 Bass-N-Fly Challenge

Seems like the only window of opportunity for April & May is the 8th & 9th of May. Seems to be a fair amount of sentiment against the Fall. Anyone for March ? I will have to call the guys and see about their availabilty.

Can we say that there is a consensus for Sunrise if we avoid the rubber boat hatch ?

Insurance is an issue I am investigating. Any agents out there ? All the rod builders, guides, etc. have their own personal liability insurance but we need to find a way to insure all the organizers and volunteers who are not professionals.

Thanks again to everyone offering to help, information and opinions. I do not think we will lack for volunteers.
    Last edited by Cal; 01-30-2010 at 01:13 AM.
    Brian Endlich

Default Spey clave update

Personally, I"m for having the clave on the fall. Most Spey guys think of spey when fishing for steelhead. I think october would be a great month. We wouldn't have to fight the rafters and the weather would also be nicer. The rafts launch by sunrise and get off the water at Goethe Park restricting us from the best locations. April is a good month too weatherwise and we may only have to deal with a few rafters.

How about 2 days over memorial weekend - this would give more folks an opportunity to come up with a day for travel?

Default Memorial Day Weekend

I like the idea of time-wise giving folks who are going to travel to participate an extra day but have a concern...

Based on past experience, I avoid going to the American River on Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day weekends. Large crowds of Sacramentans go to the river for a wide variety of recreational opportunities on the warm weather holidays. Adequate parking and reservation of the chosen site might be real issues...

I am very excited about this American River Spey Clave happening but it is really going to require planning!

Default Two Hands @ Tou Velle State park Oregon

I will be having my spey clave on Sat. Sept. 18 at Tou Velle state park. This is the week end before Poppy's spey clave. Jeff Putnam will be up a few days before and after the clave for our spey school.
    All Good Things,
    Gary Anderson

Hi Folks,

Is there a confirmed date for this proposed event ... Very much looking forward to the possibility of an open format two handed river gathering in Nor-Kali.

Bob Meiser

I think the fall would be good.

Someone said to actually work it out with the manufacturers who would be the most important group to be able to come to this event.

If we think the fall would work we could start a list of events that happen then:

Fly Tackle Dealer Show - Denver
    Gary Anderson's Fall Rogue River event
    Labor Day
    Etc.......

Maybe we need to make a list of all the companies who are involved in the two-handed world and contact them for dates that are open?:

Anderson Custom Rods
    Beulah
    Bob Meiser
    CND
    Cortland
    CF Burkheimer
    Galvin Reels
    GuideLine
    Hardy
    Loomis
    Orvis
    Rajeff Sports (Echo/Airflo)
    Redington
    Rio
    Ross Reels
    Sage
    SA/3M
    Scott
    TFO
    Winston

**Just a start...........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default What month?

Gary Anderson's Two Handers at Touvelle- September 18
    Poppy's Clearwater Spey Clave- September 25
    Denver Fly Tackle Dealer Show- ?
    Every Spey Fisherman I know goes fishing- October 1-31 ha, ha, but true!
    November 1-30- Delta stripers, short days, unpredictable weather...

The above is in part factual, in part mythical...please, others chime in so we can bring this idea to reality...

I favor a spring date- everyone is enthusiastic after a long, cold winter; some fish in March and April; Spey O Rama is usually in April, Kiene's Expo is the weekend before the trout opener, the last Saturday in April; Sandy River Spey Clave is usually in May; we realistically have to consider the impact of river rafters as soon as the weather gets warm usually in May on the American...

Should we just throw a dart at the calendar or consult a mystical advisor?

Im with the spring early summer date. Maybe latish may early june. I mean once July rolls around my thoughts are gonna start turning to steelhead...... more than they normally do I should say... So its either we miss some steelheading opportunities or we deal with rafters. Im sure if they see a bunch of people flinging out lines they are more than likely to give us a wide birth.. AND drunken rafters could be a good bit of comedy actually ... AND MOST OF ALL some of those rafters may be of the bikini clad female type and I certainly dont mind holding a cast or two to watch them float by.... I know of many a grabless cold wet day of winter steelheading where if a bikini clad female came floating by .... and someone asked me if I got skunked..... Id probably say "WELL ..... sort of" And who knows maybe one of us will get a gra.... Aw never mind that probably isnt gonna sound right.... back to thinking about steelheading..... Kevin

if we can put up with teh crowds I would again suggest Memorial Weekend - not sure how many folks are actually floating the river in tubes that early but then I have never been there over this weekend - if not then I also would push for late May early June - maybe weekend after the Sandy Clave - not sure when that is? might be memorial?