Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Russian River

Default Marking Spawned Steelhead

A couple of years back my wife and I kept our trailer over that way for three months at a time, Jan.,Feb.,and March. I would fish the Russian regularly along with the Gualala, the Garcia, and most of the other coastal streams. The Russian was a real favorite because of it's close proximity to where we were staying. I could often fish the river early in the morning and then stop by the Coyote hatchery to see what has been coming in to spawn and still be back by lunchtime.

The hatchery is almost totally run by volunteer help from the Ukiah Rod and Gun Club. One interesting thing that they do when spawning these steelhead is to clip their tail fin with a hole punch. Everytime a steelhead would come through the ladder and get to the spawning table, a volunteer would punch a hole in the fish's tail showing that he or she had been spawned. I think the Coyote hatchery was punching holes in the top of the tail. The Warm Springs hatchery downstream near Healdsburg was doing the same but punching holes in the lower portion of the tail. Again, this was simply to identify a fish that had already spawned.

After the spawning, trucks would transport the steelhead back to the river and release them at several locations where they could work their way back to the ocean and repeat their migration cycle.

What the hatcherys were finding out was that a lot of the spawned fish didn't immediately return to the sea but would instead again make their way upstream and go through the spawning ladder a second or even a third time. This could be identified by the number of hole punches in the tail. What was really amazing was that sometimes the spawned fish would trade hatcherys and try to spawn again. Coyote spawned fish would often work their way downstream to Dry Creek and then up to the Warm Springs hatchery, and Warm Springs spawned fish would often continue all the way upstream to the Coyote hatchery. Some of these already spawned fish would have holes in both the top and bottom of their tails.

I guess when you've got the urge, you've got the urge. I hope no one asks where these dump spots are because I'd have to decline to answer. They're already well known and crowded beyond belief.
    TONY
    Last edited by Tony Buzolich; 01-29-2010 at 11:42 AM.
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Thanks Tony............very interesting info.

Where did you stay?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Russian River

I've spoke with Carlo a couple times at Western Sports when stopping in to pay respects to and support the local shop. He has alsways been very helpful and seems like a great guy. I'll have to take one of his Russian River classes to learn more local knowledge. I'm really determined to learn to the Russian and catch a fresh steelhead on that water.

Also like camping at Casini, can walk to the river to fish, the wife and I can sneak in some wine tasting at the great Russian River valley wineries, or grab some fresh seafood because the coast is so close, or get some exceptional grub and the local restuarants...life is hell at times.

Tony,
    You are correct as to the traveling of the fish after release at C.S. bridge, which is only one of several release points. However, after the hatchery gets it's quota ( the number that they are now LIMITED to ) they release unspent fish too, maybe with the hope that they will spawn in the river, which I have seen them do. Too bad the fry are not at all likely to survive two years in that vineyard induced cesspool. Rob the water and return polluted water seems highly detrimental to our endangered "native" kings....ya think?
    .....lee s.
    PS-There were plenty fish at PG&E hole and above before these last spates of water.....PLENTY being a relative term, of course.

Carlo is a great guy and a great source of info about the Russian, and a lot of other waters. Anyone who is in Santa Rosa would be wise to stop in and talk to him as he has a wealth of information not available elsewhere. Taking any of his classes would also be highly beneficial as well.

Russian update. It has dropped down to fishable levels, at least in the Ukiah area. The water is a bit colored but with luck you could catch fish. The fish up here hold in some of the oddest water, especially when it is off color. I've caught many fish in water 12" or less right next to the bank using short line nymph methods with big black flies. If the streams entering the Russian up here are any indication the water in various places further downstream should be contributing to clearing water.

Lee is also correct about there being fish in the river. I saw two when I stopped at the Perkins Street bridge and there are fishers out there right now pounding the water with hardware and bait. Not sure what the projected rainfall will be, hopefully enough to let some catch some fish. Good luck if you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy B View Post
    I've spoke with Carlo a couple times at Western Sports when stopping in to pay respects to and support the local shop. He has alsways been very helpful and seems like a great guy. I'll have to take one of his Russian River classes to learn more local knowledge. I'm really determined to learn to the Russian and catch a fresh steelhead on that water.

Also like camping at Casini, can walk to the river to fish, the wife and I can sneak in some wine tasting at the great Russian River valley wineries, or grab some fresh seafood because the coast is so close, or get some exceptional grub and the local restuarants...life is hell at times.
    I like your plan Randy.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

The lower river is still brown and with the two to three inches we got today, it is going to be chocolate milk tomorrow.

How many weeks without rain does it take for the Russian River to clear?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Default Many weeks

Depends entirely on how much rain and in how much time. My estimate is the Russian will not be fishing for another week with 0 and I mean 0 rain. Back in 98' the river never really fished for the entire season.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

The biggest problem with the color on the Russian is how much water is being let out of the two dams. I heard yesterday that the dry creek area is looking fairly decent, but downstream is still brown and it is going to rain today through next week, so it's going to be blown after today or Sunday at the latest.