Thread: fish finder and electric motor for kayak

Default fish finder and electric motor for kayak

I am about to purchase my first SOT kayak for river and lake fishing and I want to outfit it with a trolling motor and fish finder. I was thinking about getting one of the new WS commander 120s, is a trolling motor w/40lbs of thrust too much power to mount on a kayak?
    Also I was thinking of buying one the Hummingbird Fishing Buddy 140c's to help locate fish. Is the FB140 a good fishfinder? Any comments will be greatly appreciated...
    Thanks much,
    2short
    aka Earl

For trolling motor it is not a matter of how much thrust, but more a matter of how big of a battery do you want to carry. On my pontoon I use a 36 pound thrust and it is more than enough, but my battery weights about 30 or so pounds.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

I have just got and used once a FishinBuddy 120. I believe the difference is color screen? I was pleasantly surprised to find the 120's B&W graphics were excellent in bright sun the one day I used it. Side scan appears to work, it's light, quick and I like it.
    Ditto on Scott's comments on the motor. If you go much smaller than a Group 22 battery(35lbs, +/-) you won't have much battery life.
    Robert

Default Fishing Buddy 130

I saved a little cash by buying the 130 and sacrificing the color screen. It works great but I was dissappointed on the battery life. Two full days of fishing will require you to replace the batteries. Either I have a defective model or the flaw might be inherent with the "newer" fish finders. I never encountered that problem with the "fishing buddys" of ten years ago.