Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I-Hate-To-Tie-This-Fly FLY SWAP

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Murakoshi View Post
    Regarding the humpies.... If I can find the time, I'll either do it on video and post it or do it in tying steps. It's fast and easy

Jay
    That would be fantastic. I sat down last night and tied a few...I'm happy to report that they look exactly as bad as I remember.

OK slackers...we already have our first batch of completed flies! Thom sent in his worm variation a few days ago and you will love what he did. I can honestly say that I haven't seen anything like it before. Don't worry though...it's a good thing!

As you finish just shoot me a PM and I'll send my address.

-Ben

Quote Originally Posted by WoolyBugger View Post
    Thom sent in his worm variation a few days ago and you will love what he did.

-Ben
    I'm not surprised . . . Thom is an avid fly tyer who is always thinking outside the box.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

OK slackers...we already have our first batch of completed flies! Thom sent in his worm variation a few days ago...
    We have until March 15th, right????? I haven't even decided WHICH deer hair fly I'm tying yet!

Yikes! Guess I better get busy!
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

Cool Elk Hair Caddis!

Ok guys.... I've decided to do the Elk Hair Caddis....

Now I just gotta get to work!
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

Default Humpy Progress

This is turning out to be every bit as difficult as I had imagined. If I wasn't in the swap, I absolutely would have given up by now...which is why I started this kind of swap in the first place. Apparently I have nobody to blame but myself! I've tied 6 humpies so far, and this is the best of that batch:

Not perfect by anyones standards, but it is the first one that has put a smile on my face. Looks like I need to shorten the tail just a bit and start the body/hump just a bit farther back on the hook, closer to the bend. Any other critiques?

I hope everyone else is having a good time. Any other updates?

-Ben

Oh, I don't know, looks like you nailed the rear tie-in point to me. If you tied it any further back, it looks like it would be in the bend itself, which would cause the tail to slant downward. I prefer my dry fly tails to either be neutral or slant slightly upward but not downward. Just out of curiosity, what model hook are you using?

Tail length looks fine too, although I know some like to tie their Humpys with slightly shorter tails. I would think yours would offer better support to offset the heavy hackling up front. If it were me, I'm not sure I would change it to be honest with you.

Since you're asking, I would look out for allowing the tail to roll over to the far side when you tie it in. This is just a nit-pick though and I only mention it because you asked -- I think you did a great job!
    Last edited by Hairstacker; 01-31-2010 at 12:28 AM.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

This is turning out to be every bit as difficult as I had imagined. If I wasn't in the swap, I absolutely would have given up by now...which is why I started this kind of swap in the first place. Apparently I have nobody to blame but myself! I've tied 6 humpies so far, and this is the best of that batch:

Not perfect by anyones standards, but it is the first one that has put a smile on my face. Looks like I need to shorten the tail just a bit and start the body/hump just a bit farther back on the hook, closer to the bend. Any other critiques?

I hope everyone else is having a good time. Any other updates?

-Ben
    Wow! Looks great to me. I've tied 20 versions of the Neversink Trude so far...
    I'm not happy with the legs yet. Sorry I cannot post a picture - still trying to get this messaging stuff down.
    I think I will have a decent set ready by the weekend.
    Hope I do not embarrass myself too much.

Mikel

Default looks good to me

Looks buggy enough for me, that thing will float anywhere, one of my favorite high country patterns but a real challenge to tie. I have been working on my woven stonefly pattern.....they keep getting uglier thank goodness March is still a few weeks away.

Quote Originally Posted by nrvi View Post
    thank goodness march is still a few weeks away.
    bingo!!!!!