Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: I-Hate-To-Tie-This-Fly FLY SWAP

Quote Originally Posted by Nomadic Fisherman View Post
    Greetings All,

Well this is my first reply.
    I've been a fan of this site for quite a while and finally got the nerve up...
    If I may join in, I would like to try to tie a fly called a "Neversink Trude".
    Please let me know when the due date is.

Thank you

Mikel
    You're in! Welcome and I'm glad we were able to pull you off the sidelines. The due date is March 15th.

-Ben

By the way...I just googled the Neversink Trude and it looks badass! Definitely not an easy tie, but it looks like fun.
    Last edited by Ben Kobrin; 01-23-2010 at 11:41 PM.

I'm in! Took some thought but I'm thinking I'll tie a matuka -- I've never tied one before and it looks like a great crossover (warm and cold water) pattern. I just have to check to make sure the feathers I have will work; otherwise, I'll be tying something else to be determined.

Mikel (Nomadic Fisherman), welcome aboard! Glad you decided to step into the limelight. What do you usually fish for?

Well, looks like the makings of a great swap. Kind of nice we only have to tie 8 or so flies -- in a swap I'm in right now on another board, I have to tie 17.

Ben, by the way, thanks for hosting!! I agree with you about Robin's pheasant tail in the last swap -- it was unquestionably a great tie and I would have never guessed she isn't a seasoned tyer.
    Last edited by Hairstacker; 01-24-2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: typo
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

OK everyone...Hairstacker rounds out our 8.

I wanted to keep it small because in theory we should all be having a little more difficulty with our flies than we would for a normal swap.

If the TBD's could let us know what they have decided I will get the front page updated.

Thanks for everyone that is participating.

-Ben

Quote Originally Posted by WoolyBugger
    Thanks Robin, you're in. Your pheasant tail looked great by the way...never would have guessed that you were short on experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by jburge
    BTW, Robin if that's all you've ever tied, you'd never know it by looking at your flies. They are great!

Quote Originally Posted by hairstacker
    I agree with you about Robin's pheasant tail in the last swap -- it was unquestionably a great tie and I would have never guessed she isn't a seasoned tyer.
    Thanks guys... I have a great teacher....

Don't forget, I'm married to GBF's beginning fly-tying instructor

It does have its perks

These swaps are giving me a chance to spread my wings, so-to-speak
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

Im going to tie a stimulator, i have never tied one and hate working with deer/elk hair

It'll be a #16 Royal Wulff for me. I got through one today... I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

And you're right Mike about this only being 8. I just finished up 15 Quill Gordons for another swap on another board. Whew.

You know, there is another aspect to all of this that didn't hit me until today. When dealing with different materials and/or different techniques, it might be advantageous to also look at tools that are made for the job. For example, I just changed bobbins and it's given me a whole new feel for thread control. A different hairstacker gives me better control over the calf hair. Anybody else have this experience?

John

Quote Originally Posted by jburge View Post
    When dealing with different materials and/or different techniques, it might be advantageous to also look at tools that are made for the job. For example, I just changed bobbins and it's given me a whole new feel for thread control. A different hairstacker gives me better control over the calf hair. Anybody else have this experience?

John
    Hmmm . . . a few things come to mind . . . .

Going from an India-import vise to an HMH Standard Bench vise sure made tying more pleasant, as the HMH holds hooks much more securely, takes much less effort to secure a hook, and can be adjusted to tie almost true-rotary style.

Smoothing out the sharp edges on my inexpensive English-style hackle pliers seems to have resulted in fewer broken hackles.

Going from a regular hair stacker to this one made by Stonefly has made it much easier to see what I'm doing since it is built out of see-through plastic:

That's about all that comes to mind.
    -- Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker View Post
    I'm in! Took some thought but I'm thinking I'll tie a matuka -- I've never tied one before and it looks like a great crossover (warm and cold water) pattern. I just have to check to make sure the feathers I have will work; otherwise, I'll be tying something else to be determined.

Mikel (Nomadic Fisherman), welcome aboard! Glad you decided to step into the limelight. What do you usually fish for?

Well, looks like the makings of a great swap. Kind of nice we only have to tie 8 or so flies -- in a swap I'm in right now on another board, I have to tie 17.

Ben, by the way, thanks for hosting!! I agree with you about Robin's pheasant tail in the last swap -- it was unquestionably a great tie and I would have never guessed she isn't a seasoned tyer.

Hey there Hairstacker,
    I am still trying to get the hang of this message stuff.
    Stripers; Largemouth;Smallmouth Bass; Shad; Trout; Crappie; even Carp
    I will fish for anything that swims...I have even put a line on my friend's son and had him swim away (conventional gear though)

Mikel

Quote Originally Posted by Nomadic Fisherman View Post
    I will fish for anything that swims...I have even put a line on my friend's son and had him swim away (conventional gear though)

Mikel
    This wouldn't have been near the Farallon Islands, would it?
    -- Mike

Regarding the humpies.... Years and I mean years ago, I was shown a way to tie a humpy the real quick. The tail, body and wings are tied in with one clump of hair. If I can find the time, I'll either do it on video and post it or do it in tying steps. It's fast and easy

Jay