Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I-Hate-To-Tie-This-Fly FLY SWAP

Default Trying-Something-New FLY SWAP

OK swappers…the last one turned out great so I think we should keep the ball rolling.

I believe that fly swaps are a perfect opportunity to improve our skills as tyers. In my mind, this means going outside of our comfort zone and truly challenging ourselves to do something that we may not be comfortable with. For this reason, the general rules of this swap are:

-Open to the first 8 who sign up.
    -Please sign up to tie something that you either haven't tied before or something that incorporates a technique or material that is new to you. I’d like this to be a learning experience for everyone involved. I think it would be great if along with the fly you are going to tie, you told us why it qualifies for this swap.
    -No other rules….it can be a dry, nymph, streamer, bass bug….anything you want, as long as you are trying something new!
    -Due date is March 15th.

I’ll start the ball rolling:

My all time favorite fly is the Yellow Humpy. The problem it that I have never been able to tie them to my satisfaction. I try one or two then give up because I can never get the proportions right...they just look bad. I have a hunch that by the time I tie a bunch for this swap I’ll be much happier with the way they look.

1. WoolyBugger - size 14 Yellow Humpy - RECIEVED
    3. Mrs. Finsallaround - Elk Hair Caddis _MAILED
    4. nrvi - woven something-or-other - RECEIVED
    5. jburge - size 16 Royal Wulff - RECEIVED
    6. TMS - MEDUSA San Juan Worm variation - RECEIVED
    7. Nomadic Fisherman - Neversink Trude - RECEIVED
    8. Hairstaker - Matuka - RECEIVED
    Last edited by Ben Kobrin; 03-15-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Im in and im not sure what i will be tying

Hmmm . . . maybe it's just me but I'm thinking it might be hard to fill this swap up with folks who have to tie flies they hate to tie because . . . well, they hate tying 'em.

Personally, I can't really think of any flies I hate to tie, but like you, I like to use a swap as an opportunity to learn a new pattern (which is why I tied the Zug Bug in the last swap) or practice a particular skill.

So, if you can't fill this one, may I humbly suggest you consider allowing the option of simply tying a fly pattern you've never attempted before? This would be consistent with the philosophy of a fly swap being a learning opportunity. Anyway, just a suggestion if you don't get enough takers.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker View Post
    Hmmm . . . maybe it's just me but I'm thinking it might be hard to fill this swap up with folks who have to tie flies they hate to tie because . . . well, they hate tying 'em.

Personally, I can't really think of any flies I hate to tie, but like you, I like to use a swap as an opportunity to learn a new pattern (which is why I tied the Zug Bug in the last swap) or practice a particular skill.

So, if you can't fill this one, may I humbly suggest you consider allowing the option of simply tying a fly pattern you've never attempted before? This would be consistent with the philosophy of a fly swap being a learning opportunity. Anyway, just a suggestion if you don't get enough takers.
    Thanks Mike...that is certainly within the spirit of what I had in mind. I didn't mean for this to be limited to flies that people didn't enjoy tying, I just wanted to encourage people to try something new. I chose to get better at tying the Yellow Humpy, but I could have just as easily decided to try spinning hair, or tying a fly with a quill body; both examples of things that I have never done.

Maybe I should re-name it the Trying-Something-New FLY SWAP. Thanks for the suggestion! Come on guys, don't be afraid

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by WoolyBugger View Post
    OK swappers…the last one turned out great so I think we should keep the ball rolling.

I believe that fly swaps are a perfect opportunity to improve our skills as tyers. In my mind, this means going outside of our comfort zone and truly challenging ourselves to do something that we may not be comfortable with. For this reason, the general rules of this swap are:

-Open to the first 8 who sign up.
    -Please sign up to tie something that you either haven't tied before or something that incorporates a technique or material that is new to you. I’d like this to be a learning experience for everyone involved. I think it would be great if along with the fly you are going to tie, you told us why it qualifies for this swap.
    -No other rules….it can be a dry, nymph, streamer, bass bug….anything you want, as long as you are trying something new!

I’ll start the ball rolling:

My all time favorite fly is the Yellow Humpy. The problem it that I have never been able to tie them to my satisfaction. I try one or two then give up because I can never get the proportions right...they just look bad. I have a hunch that by the time I tie a bunch for this swap I’ll be much happier with the way they look.

1. WoolyBugger - size 14 Yellow Humpy
    2. Guppy - TBD
    I'm TOTALLY in! AND, my fly WON'T be a BHFBPT, wiggle tail, copper john, or a wooly bugger because those are the ONLY things I HAVE tied.... . Not much experience yet, but I'm likin' these swaps

No idea yet what it will be, gotta think on it . Probably something with deer hair, cause I HATE that stuff

Hmmmmmmm, maybe Paul's super minnow.... Let me have a day or two to decide.

Any idea when you'll want them to be submitted by?
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

Thanks Robin, you're in. Your pheasant tail looked great by the way...never would have guessed that you were short on experience. I'll post the due date above.

-Ben

Default swap

Count me in, I will be tying a woven something or other as I have played around with weaving a little but I certainly could use the practice to get better at it.

Quote Originally Posted by WoolyBugger View Post

I believe that fly swaps are a perfect opportunity to improve our skills as tyers. In my mind, this means going outside of our comfort zone and truly challenging ourselves to do something that we may not be comfortable with.
    WB, right on! I always like to approach swaps with a "how can I tie something new" mentality. That's exactly the reason I chose the Sloan's Mighty Mite for our last one. I had never worked with vinyl rib before, much less trying to weave flashabou into the mix. So, I'm right with you when it comes to trying to improve skills.

I'd like to jump in this swap with a Wulff--either an Adams Wulff or Royal Wulff. The reason being, I've tied 'em before, but never relished the idea of working with calf tail and/or calf body hair. For some reason, it was one of those things that always seemed to get away from me. I love the Wulff style wings, but trying to get the hair in place on the hook was a challenge. The additional challenge with the Royal is the proportion of peacock to floss for the body (and whether or not to incorporate a wire rib).

All that said, count me in (either a #14 or #16) and thanks for hosting.

John

BTW, Robin if that's all you've ever tied, you'd never know it by looking at your flies. They are great!

WB, Haven't swapped in quite a while. I have some Neon Squirmy Wormy material I've never used. The fly will be a variation of Dave Hise's MEDUSA San Juan Worm.

Thanks for hosting.

Thom
    Last edited by TMS; 01-23-2010 at 07:18 PM.

Wink

Greetings All,

Well this is my first reply.
    I've been a fan of this site for quite a while and finally got the nerve up...
    If I may join in, I would like to try to tie a fly called a "Neversink Trude".
    Please let me know when the due date is.

Thank you

Mikel