Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should your fly line weight always match your rod weight

Quote Originally Posted by Digger38 View Post
    Just curious if your fly line weight should always match your rod weight? I have heard people say that depending on the type of fishing you do that your fly line should go up 1=2x higher than your rod weight depending on what type of fishing you do? Is this correct and if so what are some examples of when you do want a heavier line than your rod?
    Well, I use a 10 wt Rio Outbound Short on my 8 wt TFO for top water stripers, but I use an 8wt atlantic salmon line (SA) on the same rod for steelhead.

Paul says the only time you want the weights to match is when you are casting 50+ feet with smaller flies, because you want the whole head of the line out to load the rod properly. This is especially true for dry fly fishing on streams/rivers.

If you're shooting line with less of the head out, over-size line will load the rod with less line out of the tip. However, when you are throwing a large, wind-resistant or heavy fly (striper/lmb), the grain weight of the line should match the fly. Paul's advice is always to throw it with the smallest rod you can throw the fly with (like my outbound on my 8 wt).

This stuff always amazes me too....
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Finsallaround View Post
    Paul says the only time you want the weights to match is when you are casting 50+ feet with smaller flies, because you want the whole head of the line out to load the rod properly.
    Thanks Robin

Paul is spot on......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Finsallaround View Post
    the only time you want the weights to match is when you are casting 50+ feet with smaller flies, because you want the whole head of the line out to load the rod properly. This is especially true for dry fly fishing on streams/rivers.
    :
    What amazes me is the fact that people would actually use a weight forward line to fish with a dry fly on streams/rivers.
    With accuracy and presentation paramount concerns, shooting line to reach 50' or more seems like the hard way to do it.
    Last edited by sgr; 01-23-2010 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sgr View Post
    What amazes me is the fact that people would actually use a weight forward line to fish with a dry fly on streams/rivers.
    With accuracy and presentation paramount concerns, shooting line to reach 50' or more seems like the hard way to do it.
    I wouldn't be so hasty . . . . please take the time to read the following short article by Bruce Richards, recently retired head line taper designer for Scientific Anglers, titled "WF or DT -- Which is Really Better..." He contrasts weight forward and double tapered fly lines and addresses your points regarding accuracy and presentation:

http://www.danblanton.com/WFvsDT.html
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker View Post
    I wouldn't be so hasty . . . . please take the time to read the following short article by Bruce Richards,
    I have read the article, and in fact was involved in the original (other) forum thread in '04 that Bruce discussed this at length in. If you want to read it:
    http://www.sexyloops.co.uk/cgi-bin/t...=5;t=1786;st=0
    One point of that article (and thread) is the fact that on small to medium rivers WF has zero advantage. To take that further, at 50 feet, many WF lines would have their head out of the guides. DTs are more accurate at that range. I know some of the long rear taper WFs (like an XXD) will stand in there, but they do not have any advantage.
    So, it has no advantage, and essentially costs twice as much. Therefore, I am amazed "that people would actually use a weight forward line to fish with a dry fly on streams/rivers."

I wasn't being hasty.

It appears I read into what you were saying -- I thought you were saying that double-tapered fly lines were more accurate for typical dry fly fishing (i.e., at typical distances), which is what caused me to refer you to the article where Bruce dispels this notion in particular. My apologies.
    Last edited by Hairstacker; 01-23-2010 at 03:22 PM.
    -- Mike

Please, no apology is necessary. You didn't offend me, and I hope I didn't offend you.

Offend me? Not at all. I really enjoyed reading that Sexyloops forum thread -- thanks for the reference! Seems the Barry fella in that thread was making the same error I incorrectly assumed you were making, not to mention you would think Bruce Richards, who's not just any old "expert," would be just about the last person on earth you would want to argue publicly with over fly line taper design.
    -- Mike

LOL.
    Well, Rudi is a champion caster...

The real fun comes from the threads where Simon Gawesworth (Rio) and Bruce "discuss" design.

I used a 11 wt sink tip on my 7 wt 9' rpl+ and that sucker would shoot the line clear across the Yuba with only 2-3 false cast . I alway over lined any of my stiff rods i had . Don't have any big rods anymore , i can spit across just about all the rivers around here . LOL my biggest rod now is my sage VPS 5 wt and i never use it . MY 7 1/2 ' 4 wt G Loomis gl2 is my main rod now !!