Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trout spey rods

Default Trout spey rods

I'm thinking of a trout spey rod for the next trout season. Maybe something on the 3 or 4 wt. I check the major rod manufacturers but I found not too many available on those weights. Gary Anderson has an 11' 9" on a 3 wt which is catching my attention. If any of you have this rod I'd love to hear your comments. Any other suggestion or imput on trout spey rods on those weights would be greatly appreciated.

If you dont have a price range check out the Sage ZAxis 5110-4 Z-Axis.

Killer little rod and if you happen to encounter larger trout of smaller steelhead it would be great for that.

Default trout spey rods

thanks easymends but I'm looking for something a little lighter in the 3 or 4 wt so that I don't overpower an average trout. A 3 or 4 wt spey equals to 5 or 6 wt single hand. It can also be a killer indicator do to the extra length.

check out the dec hogan 11 9 4 wt from echo
    http://speyshop.kiene.com/echodechoganspey11944pc.aspx.

Default trout spey

Gary Anderson of Anderson Custom Rods
    or Bob Meizer of R.b.Meiser rods

check em out on the web. Call em both great guys

Burl

Default trout spey rods

If any of you fishes or has any of the light spey trout rods I'd love to hear your comments on them. I guess most of us go back to the single hand when fishing for trout, however, I think that every tool has it's own place and might be usefull in mid to large rivers.

I tried Gary's little 3 wt at the San Mateo show last weekend - not ideal location for spey though they had a spey casting "pond" outside that was bigger than the standard indoor casting ponds.

I loved this rod and it is next on my list if I can just sell some stuff to pay for it. He also has two 4 wts that are wonderful casting rods!

If you are looking for a rod for trout fishing, I highly recommend 4 or 5 wt. switch. I fish Gary Anderson 5wt. switch. His rod wt. corresponds closer to SH rating, so my 5wt. switch fishes like 6wt. SH. It is an amazing tool for nymphing or streaming. I love my spey rods and have Gary's 5wt. spey, but, as a trout tool, it's really an overkill. I use 5wt. spey as my norcal steelhead rod, but, for trout opportunity, my switch gets the job done.

I have Gary's older 12' 3 wt and have cast the newer 11'9" model. Both are great rods for trout - outstanding casters that can handle surprisingly large fish but are not too strong for medium sized (12"+) trout. Mine casts best with a short scandi head of around 280-300 gr. and a skagit head of around 400 gr. Scandi head for unweighted and smaller flies and skagit with T-8 or T-10 tips for larger or heavy flies. Casts to 80'+ are routine with the scandi head and 70'+ with the Skagit. Best classic longer line for swinging without stripping in is CND 4/5. Gary also has an excellent 4 wt., also 12' or maybe a few inches shorter. He (and also Bob Meiser) specializes in trout speys and really has them figured out. Very versatile rods with surprising capacity to throw bigger flies with the right lines (Skagit heads), but not overpowering for trout.

Default Anderson 1193-4 Trout Spey

Pez....I have owned Gary's 11' 9' 4 piece 3wt spey rod for about a year now. Gary now sells all his rods with the line he feels best fits the rod. In this case he lined my rod with a 295 grain integrated Elixir line. It is essetially a scandi head that I add 10 -15 ft long sinking leaders to as the situation demands. I use it mostly on the American and the Rogue for half-pounders.

The real test came when I brought it up to the Bighorn River in Montana last September. At first I was not sure it would be up to handling the 18-20 inch browns they have there but it did just fine. Compared to all the folks with their 5 and 6 wt single hand rods, I almost owned the river when it came to swinging flies. When not swing flies the rod really gave me an advantage when nymph and indicator fishing while wading. It allowed me to cast the ungainly mess of bobber and flies further while standing up against the bank (no room to back cast) and then do long distance mends as needed.

I hope this helps......Anne
    "So it goes"