Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We need our own Spey Clave

I like the idea of having it in the fall. Most other claves up north and in SF are in the spring with varying degrees of success depending on weather. The Clearwater Clave is scheduled in the fall and they get a tremendous turn out. Bruce and I were up there this year when it was on though did not stop by - this year we plan to stop by and visit with Poppy

Default Nor Cal Spey Clave

#1 Great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 Location: American River
    A. Certainly, a hub of interest due to the local talent who account admirably for themselves at Spey O Rama
    B. Nor Cal's most gracious and accommodating host, Kiene's Fly Shop, (in addition to Bill's willingness to stock anything truly valuable to us)

#3 Autumn, choose the date carefully...the two months I would most like to be in B.C., in eastern OR/WA or Idaho are September and October! I'm sure some other anglers may feel the same way

#4 Gary Anderson, Bob Meiser and Kerry Burkheimer have added immeasurably to my enjoyment of the sport I love most, and, in order to share their wisdom and craftsmanship, a date must be selected that ensures their participation.

Let's Do This Thing!!!!!

What about may/june durring shad season, or that too close to Spey O Rama???

Charlie - I think late spring would be a good time also as less folks would be conflicted about going steelhead fishing as opposed to a spey clave! I certainly agree with Don that whatever date is picked should accomodate as much as possible Gary, Bob and Kerry's schedules!

Default Northern Calif Spey Clave???

Great Idea!! I am willing to help and I know others who will help as well.
    Tom Burton
    wtburton@sbcglobal.net
    (707) 678-3850

Default Clave of our own

Thanks for all the responses, ideas, and offers of help.

I am currently contacting a good number of spey rod builders to see when they might be available and what preferences they have for time of year and other issues such as local campgrounds, inexpensive motels etc.

There are currrently at least four spey events during the year which happen mostly in the spring and summer, so fall seems like a good option for our Spey Clave.

In addition to rod builders we need to identify spey casting instructors and guides who cater to spey fishing in Northern California who might also want to be involved.

I am learning much about how the Sandy River Spey Clave came to be, and fortunately, in the beginning it was very informal, so we may not have to plan the hell out of this event in order to make it happen and to be fun for everyone.

Keep posting your ideas and talk it up with any builders, instructors and guides you want to see here.
    Brian Endlich

most of the guides could be tough in the fall as many will be guiding including our own Mike McCune who visits regularly though he is busy really all year with maybe the exception of late spring early summer (or winter which is really iffy for a clave) when spring steelhead ing is over and he has not yet left for Alaska.

But expect Jeff and maybe even Simon might be available and perhaps Tim Rajeff

Default Great idea

I agree with Bill, it should be in the fall. The American would be ideal. It would be great for everyone. It is really nice having things on the water. People can not just try new spey or switch rods with all kinds of lines, but everything. Lines, reels, flies and even get ideas on waders, vest and packs. It gives people like me an oppurnity to see what other guys use and why. It also educates everyone at one time. Great concept, great idea! I will throw my hat in. Let's get this going!
    Lance
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Default I agree with Rick and Charlie re May or early June

In the fall we start to run into half pounder and other probable Steelhead opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick J View Post
    Charlie - I think late spring would be a good time also as less folks would be conflicted about going steelhead fishing as opposed to a spey clave! I certainly agree with Don that whatever date is picked should accomodate as much as possible Gary, Bob and Kerry's schedules!

Default Spring, 2010 Events

April 9, 10, 11 Spey O Rama
    April 17 Kiene's Annual Expo
    April 24 Trout season opener
    May 1, 2 Dec Hogan classes at Kiene's
    May 8, 9 Open?
    May 14, 15 16 Sandy River Spey Clave
    May 21 Bass-N-Fly Challenge

These are the events I am aware of...please correct if I have any dates wrong and add anything else you may be aware of happening during this time period.

Pretty clear this is going to take some planning- instructors, rod builders, and manufacturer's reps all have their calendars in addition
    Last edited by Don Powell; 01-24-2010 at 03:59 PM.