Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We need our own Spey Clave

Default We need our own Spey Clave

I was speaking with Bob Meiser today about various topics related to his rods and the subject of the Spey-o-Rama at Golden Gate Park came up with regard to having lots of rod manufacturers with rods to cast and tryout. Bob is not going to make it this year because he has a conflict with an event in Japan that he was invited to.

At the Spey-o-Rama there`really is only limited time for to cast rods since the main purpose is the casting competitions. Meiser was saying it was too bad we didn't have our own version of the Sandy River Spey Clave down here. He said he would be very interested to come down here and he thought that Gary Anderson and Kerry Burkheimer would also be interested. Certainly, there is a strong group of spey aficianados in Northern California and I have found Kiene's Fly Shop to be the catalyst for all things spey around here. We also have many excellent local instructors and dealer reps.

The American River would be a good venue for such an event since many folks from the Bay Area and surrounding greater Sacramento area could easily drive up for the day and not have to stay over (unless they wanted too).

Anyone else been thinking along these lines ?
    Brian Endlich

Thumbs up That sounds great

I only go to SpeyoRama on Fridays to try the new rods, lines and often to match a rod to line that I own or may buy.

The distance casting at SpeyoRama is beautiful but it really has minimal reality to our fishing needs with the two handed rods.

Security would be a problem at Watt Ave. The spot where Dec Hogan's Spey Class was held last year would be great. You would have to walk in, but it would eliminate the drug dealers with their pet killer dogs and the other collections of non fishers sizing up the rods/reels and other gear to "borrow" to buy something from the guys with the killer dogs.

I would like to see a two day clave starting on Friday.
    Last edited by Grampa Spey; 01-19-2010 at 09:24 AM.

How about one of the coastal river mabe ?

You could do it on the Russian... They Luv spey casters on that river!

(I jest!)

I think the American in Sacramento is the better choice. Watt avenue seems to be a perfect venue for something like this.
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!

Default Great idea!

I too go to the SF spey-o-rama on Friday to try new lines on my rod and new rods. I've also gone to casting demos on Saturday, but I'm most interested in trying out new stuff.

I think the combination of demo rods (Meiser, Anderson, Burkheimer, Rajeff, etc.) and demo lines (Rio, Airflo, etc.) on moving water would be a great draw. The American would let people cast on a river -- the ideal demo.
    Greg

I think a spey clave in northern California is a great idea. I live in the Bay Area and I would travel up to the American to attend. Redding/Red Bluff area may also be a good location. In years past I have been tempted to travel to the Sandy River but the timing wasn't right.

Default Spey clave

I would really like to see a northern CA spey clave.I am sure I could get the Oregon group to go down for it!
    All Good Things,
    Gary Anderson

In Northern California the Lower American River would be a great place.

Maybe timing would be better in the fall so it is not so close to the Spey-O-Rama in SF in April?

To make it work we would have to get "everyone" together on it.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Sunrise would be a good location also, good amount of room on both sides of the river. Sage held a class there last year and it worked out very well.

Default we need our own spey clave

It would be great to have our own spey clave and be able to test all the rods at once. !!!Great idea Cal!!!.