Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yuba madness!!

I fish a 9' 5x leader with about 2-3' of 6x off that. You could go longer if you want but I have found putting your self in a casting position where you can get a really good down stream presentation is more important than your leader length. If you aren't in a position to get a good down stream presentation than you can go longer and stack the leader to get the presentation you need. Good luck.

Default Credit where it due...

NightGoat---Although not a proficient fly tyer, the fly image you posted sure looks like a "PullOver" to me; orginally tyed by Ned Long of Tahoe City. He won the FFF annual "Buz Buzart (sp?) Award...about 15 years ago. He passed about 6-7 years ago. Hackle-Staker is a relatively new name...last 4-5 years...I guess because Z-lon is now used for the tail in lieu of natural fibers.

The only thing that looks different to me is the tail of Z-Lon. He once told me that he had been fishing the fly since the 1960's at Hot Creek. Synthetics were not in vogue...or produced during that era.

As for for Hogan's comments...I've been a fly fishing guide for many years and over that time have had to go through a disertation on rise form recognition innumerable times; the intent being to improve the fly angler's repertoire of skills. It is extremely important when working rising trout whether in fast water and flat-water situations.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Hey Frank, thanks for the info! Ned Long is credited as one of the originators of this style of fly at the link I posted earlier along with Bob Quigley and Jim Cramer. I didn't know he had a different name for it. I think they are usually tied on a straight shank with natural fiber tails to represent a dun. I changed it to a curved shank with Z-Lon to represent an emerger stuck in the film. I'm sure I'm not the first to do this... I'm not nearly that original!

Joe
    Last edited by nightgoat; 01-14-2010 at 12:16 AM.

The fly I described tying would mimic a mayfly swimming up from the bottom getting ready to emerge. The flash mimics air bubbles and stuff on the wings, but can also get the fish's attention. When I see tailing fish this is what I imagine they are eating, however, it's probably more like a buffet. Since there should be nymphs swimming up to the surface to emerge, emergers on the surface and drying duns at the same time, the fish just choose what they want.

To fish this fly just below the surface, means, keep it moving with slow strips, since a nymph coming up to emerge would be actively swimming, just give it a twitch now and then especially to those cruising fish.

I personally don't like using micro tippets, as I'd rather be overgeared, and don't like feeding fish flies on hook sets. However, with 0 wind and super clear conditions it may be mandatory. In that case I would key in on spots at least with some ripple on the surface and not the slicks, and keep to the heaviest tippets I could, or pray for wind. From my experience longer leaders don't do a lot, it's the diameter that really counts. However, fishing 1-2 lbs test tippets for big fish I cannot stand, as I tend to lose more flies to fish than I think is worth my time.

The conditions described are some tough conditions IMO. As stated you can have all the right gear, but when the water is that clear it's hard to get a leader the fish can't see, that you can actually battle the fish to hand with. The times I've been most successful under similar situations are with gusts of wind. Wait til the water ripples then cast out and see what happens. Or try to get a longer rod and high stick some of those dries and keep your leader off the water lol, that can work too.

Thanks for the wonderful advice Hogan.........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

any time...come up this summer and hang with me, Ryan, Kp, and Jay...little striper fishing 3 miles from chico never hurt anybody

good stuff guys - thanks for all your help. I wonder how the upcoming rains will impact the Yuba.

I believe fish often key in on the emerger stage during intense BWO hatches - this is certainly true on Silver Creek - my favorite stomping ground for spring creek trout!!

Default trout stream tips

This has been one of the best "threads" I've seen in quite awhile. Information that you
    usually expect to have to buy a book to get. Thanks to all of you - and the guy who
    started it all.
    From 2 - 4 pm, we have just been hammered with winds and heavy rain here in
    northern San Diego. Gonna muddy up the surf, I'm afraid. Upside is - maybe recharge
    the aquifers.
    Larry S

I tye a near weightless midge emerger as a dropper fly. 1.5mm bead head barely sinks, fished on fluro (which sinks), puts it in the film zone. My mono leader to my dry/indicator is coated with a wetting agent. This is BIG, in slow clear water, hides the shadow of the leader. More love.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF