Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: International Sportsmen's Expositions

Arrived at the Sac ISE show this morning and was surprized to see the people standing in line. Compared to San Mateo there's definitely a larger crowd here at the Sac show. Also, a lot more fly fishing exhibitors or exhibitors that cater to the fly fisher.

I sold a lot of buck tails this morning but still have enough to get by tomorrow. If you're interested, I'll be hanging around the tying theater the first part of the morning and then I'll be walking the show. I'll be in the tying theater at 2:30pm doing my thing then after that, I hang for a little while before hitting the road

Hope too see all of you at the show tomorrow

jay

Thumbs up ISE Sacto....

Good show,.... Better than last year. I wandered through all of the halls and had a great time.

Especially enjoyed talking to the proprietors of Baja Fly Fishing. Good conversation about fly fishing for Pez Gallo in Baja/Costa Rica, etc. Saw his version of a Rasta fly for Roosters and a fly that looks a lot like an Air Head pattern but isn't.... Baja Fly Fishing had two booths and the second booth had some small (1 1/2") Sea Habit type flies for fishing Yellowfin Tuna in October. Also got to explore the tyers experiences with Milk Fish down there. Had all of my suspicions confirmed and now have a strategy for catchin' one on a fly. Didn't see Jay M., tho.

Saw a Tracker bass boat that really is laid out well for fly fishing the Delta. Ate and drank the usual stuff and bought the requisite amount of stuff, as well. Bring on Pleasanton....

Add: Found a new fly tying material in the hunting hall at a hat vendors booth. Camel hyde. The fur is soft (like all marsupials), dark tan in color around the shoulders to almost a blue dun color above the hind quarters. Guard hair is about 3/4" in length. The underfur is light tan to cream colored. Looks like it might be some of the best dubbing I've seen.
    Last edited by Darian; 01-22-2010 at 09:42 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

darian,

were you there on thursday? I showed up on Friday and I'm here on Saturday. I'm in the tying theater this afternoon and will be on the road around 4 or 5pm. Must be getting old,
    I don't hang around the shows all day, like I use to. I left early last night and went and had dinner then back to sitting in the motel room.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by David Lee View Post
    I'll second that !!

I will be in Tyer's row from 11:00 AM-4:00PM Thursday the 21st , all day Friday , 12:00 to 7:00 Saturday , and 2:00 'till 5:00 Sunday - hope y'all wander down for incessant chattering/free tying lessons/general troublemaking .

Seeya !!

David

Show off

Friday ISE review: ehhh. fewer exhibitors, and fewer new booths; a whole bunch of sharp-hooked clousers available at Hill's discount flies for cheap - for clumsy people with little time to tie like me. But Sage didn't even show up. Seemed like a light crowd too. Almanor presentation (making effective pond-smelt imitations and trolling with them) and Lowrance workshops were very well attended.

The $15 entry and $10 parking fees are a bit much. Park at Kohl's and walk.

Probably worth going to on a damp dreary day like yesterday, especially if you're not planning on the Pleasanton show in Feb; but wish it had more.

Default ISE Sacramento

The show for me was great and I will be tying again tomorrow first thing in the theater. I walked the show and as a hole I think Sacramento ISE show was better than the San Mateo Show. Just my feelings. I also would like to say that the venders and everyone involved in this show have been more relaxed. Last year there was some rude people trying to book trips, sell old merchandise and just not happy. This year venders seem to have realized that does not work. All in all a great show.

Lance
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Well, I went out there today around 12:30. After looking up and down the streets for some free parking I decided to just go ahead and pony up the 10 bucks to park. At least they have security there.
    I had to cruise around for a while to find a spot, you'd have thought the State Fair was on for all the cars.

I walked over to the gate and forked over another $15.00 to get in. At the turnstyle the guy who tore my ticket asked me "how's it going?", I told him so far I'm down 25 bucks and have'nt seen anything yet. Bs'd with him a bit, he laughed when I told him I'd whined at the parking gate too. Sacramento is still a small enough venue that the workers are still people, not invisible automatons.

Walking up the ramp I ran into Bluegrass Bill, and another jawing session broke out. Good seeing a familiar face right off the bat.

So I took a deep breath and entered the 'Fly Fishing Building'. Geez, you couldn't move at all in there. Beat a hasty retreat back out the door. I went around to the end of the building where the jumping dogs were and went in that way.

What do you know, right there as you walk in was Fly Tyers Row. And good ole David Lee doing his thing for a small crowd. I elbowed my up to the counter and jostled a big guy, turned out to be Lee Soares and we got to yakkin. Then Guppy popped up.

The B.S. was really flying.

I called Scott V.'s cel to see if he was still around, he was. We met up at the Fly tying Theater where Jay Murakoshi was on stage.

We moved back over to the 'row' and Paul and Robin Egan had just shown up.

Took a trip through the boat building, and looked around the fly fishing exhibits a bit, then back to the 'row' again and ran into Bill Carnazzo. Bill and I share a common interest in the Rubicon River so I was able to get updated on the status of the FERC relicensing plan as well as just plain BSing some more.

Due to some disturbing news, there will be more on the FERC relicensing later.

Let's see, I bought one 8 doller beer, and one nine dollar nasty pork sandwich. That and the price of parking and entrance.

My impressions of the show. Just opinions, worth what you paid for them.

The show, to get in only, is way overpriced. 25.00 just to make it to the entrance is to me grossly out of line. Everything I saw for sale there I can find at retail shops here for the same or maybe even lower price. That is, everything I care about buying anyway. Is the extra money I pay to shop there just so I can see dogs jumping off a platform? I know they draw crowds but to me it's just silly. They used to have actual pointing dog demonstrations.

The fly fishing building was packed. The exhibit booths were crammed with people every time I went by. That I think is a good thing. Maybe Sacramento should have it's own flyfishing show.

I don't think I have the requisite 'herd' mentality that it takes to enjoy these kinds of shows. Maybe I'm just wierd that way. I'd so much rather buy what I need from a small uncrowded store than jump into that mob.

The saving factor, for me, who just dropped 25 clams to get there, was meeting up with so many board members.

If I met you and didn't mention your name, just pipe up. Either I was distracted by trying to hold two conversations at once or, more likely, just forgot your name. Happens more than I would like.

One last thing. Funny to me at least.

Right as I went to say goodby to David Lee a stranger walks up to his spot at the counter and says, "They tell me I need to see you about a crawdad pattern for Smallmouth Bass".
    As I was unwittingly in on the testing phase for that fly, which consisted of David tossing me a fly saying "try this out", I just had to laugh.

The Eight Weight Craw's fame is growing.

It's my go to crawdad fly.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Yes, the price on the show and parking is really getting to be a problem. However, this seems to be a sign of the times. My wife and I went to see Avatar at the IMAX on Friday. The senior price was $14.00 each...$28.00. We parked in the city lot around the corner during the show (@3 hours). I almost fainted when the person at the toll booth told me how much it cost for that short time period...$16.50!!!!!!!!! That would be $44.50 to see a movie. The times are a changin!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post
    Bill and I share a common interest in the Rubicon River so I was able to get updated on the status of the FERC relicensing plan as well as just plain BSing some more.

Due to some disturbing news, there will be more on the FERC relicensing later.

Ed
    Aw heck...what's going on? I thought it was going to be a good thing.
    Please, don't wait too long to update us.

My sales were fantastic....I sold over 125 buck tails. At a buck, you could use them for wisp brooms and still come out ahead. I hope to take a bunch to Pleasanton. I've thought about a booth with just materials but do you know how many $1.00 buck tails, 50 cent packs of dubbing, yards of cactus chennile and boxes and boxes of hooks I would need to sell just to cover my booth fee not counting the gas, hotel, meals and 4 days spent in a booth.
    I did the very first ISE show in San Mateo. I sold only flies. I brought 175 dozen flies with me in Plano boxes and sold out before the first day was over. This is when it use to be a 5 day show. The next 4 days I was tying flies and having people wait as each once came off the vise. At 50 cents a fly, you couldn't go wrong.... It only took me one year to realize it wasn't worth it. Then years later, Ken & I had a booth at the San Mateo show - never again.

Hope to see you at the Pleasanton show.... I just found out our schedule.

Friday - Baja presentation 2:30pm

Sunday - Fish Fighting Techniques (hands on) 10:30am Ken & Jay

I'm sure the rest of the schedule will be posted

Jay