Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Steelhead to hand, 2nd biggest fish on the fly....

Default First Steelhead to hand, 2nd biggest fish on the fly....

So, to ring in the new year, Paul and I ventured up to Lewiston to fish the Trinity for the weekend. Boy, it was mighty chilly up there... even, at only a few thousand feet!

It was rainin' cats & dogs all night new year's eve, but we decided to go ahead and try to go out with the guide we'd scheduled for New Year's Day. About 20 minutes into the drift, the guide said, "I have good news and I have bad news for you. The bad news is we're not catchin' any fish today. The good news is I don't have any more bad news for ya!" Boy, he wasn't kiddin'.... We didn't even get a bite. The water was just too muddy, color of creamed coffee. So, we're rescheduling for another day, since he was booked the next two days.

Amazingly enough, the water cleared up pretty good by the next morning, so, hubby and I headed out again around 8:00 am or so. About the 3rd cast, thought I was stuck on a rock, but then the line took off! My exact words were, "That's a fish! That's goddamn fish!" Hubby patiently guided me on how to land him, which took many minutes, mainly because I was mentally praying the whole time that I didn't snap him off .

Well, I landed him, as you can see below (26"- ate a red Copper John):

Safely released :

We tried many more places for many more hours, and didn't get another bite anywhere.

Tried again this morning, and still nothing.... ah well, I'm just ecstatic I finally joined the club.

P.S. not sure if it matters, but the water was a crisp 42 degrees...
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

Congrats.

At least your guide saw the water for what it was. Better to reschedule.

Mornings have been consistently stronger for me than the rest of the day the past couple weeks. A bit different than my normal experience.

How dare you post a report about the Trinity!

He he, sorry, there's just no way I could resist that.

Congratulations Robin. Very nice fish.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post
    How dare you post a report about the Trinity!

He he, sorry, there's just no way I could resist that.
    Ha Ha Ha... You know, I really had seriously thought about that, but seeing as how it was my first steelhead ever, I figured some might cut me some slack...

- Robin

Now your life is ruined! Sleepless nights, empty wallet, lying to the boss to get days off. This is just the begining for you. Good luck and nice catch.

Way to go Robin, nice fish!!

So how did you do it? In other words, how'd you get it to take the Copper John?
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

WTG!

What a good way to join the club!
    Last edited by Fats; 01-03-2010 at 08:08 PM.
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!

congrats. where did you catch it at? i fished junction city, pigeon point, and steiner flat road today but didnt even get a bite. saw lots of spin fishermen. checked out steel bridge road on my way home just because i hadnt ever been there. looks like some nice water if it wasnt so crowded.

joshfish, PM sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker View Post
    Way to go Robin, nice fish!! =D>

So how did you do it? In other words, how'd you get it to take the Copper John?
    Well, I waded across the water and thought, hmmmmmm, that spot looks good, and tossed it over there.... J/K

Actually, we were nymphing, with indicators... had a size 8 golden stone on top and the size 12 copper john at the end...

THE fly:

I swear I'm gonna frame it!
    Last edited by Mrs.Finsallaround; 01-03-2010 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Fixed pic...
    - Robin

If not frame it, at least retire it and hang it.

I've got a tattered old olive wooley bugger hanging over my desk right in front of me. The trout it caught was a dream come true for me, every time I look up there it takes me right back.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.