Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scouting Question...

Default Scouting Question...

Short of driving up and just looking at the rivers, what is the best way to start trying to sniff out some of the "lesser" known steelhead rivers. I've got access to the topo maps and map books. I've got a list of names of some potentials as well. Any suggestions?

I'm not asking for a list of secret spots... Just some direction on where to start the search...

After all, Christmas is the season of giving!

Often wrong, seldom in doubt!

Question Scouting....

Well,.... Scouting implies going out and either looking or fishing. The best way to obtain real time info is to have a buddy that'll share some secret spots.

You've already started by having maps available. Bulletin Board archives of websites like Kiene's are another source of info. Fishing books/mags/newsletters. Then, you might try calling fly shops in the locale/vicinity of where you might choose to fish.

Actually, I've found that driving around and fishing/looking is the best for me. Put in the fishing hours. Nothing like having a picture of what the water is like and whether there're any fish available.

One of the problems with fishing "lesser known" waters is that you don't have any idea whether there're any fish in the river/stream unless someone on the scene tells you. Another is that small rivers/streams are usually shorter and have limited access. Plus, many of them are only fishable with flies in the lower sections/estuaries. That means learning how tides affect fish entering the estuary. Also, how rains affect those smaller waters. Altho I don't do it much anymore, I fished all of the rivers/streams from the San Lorenzo to the Smith Rivers from fall 1968 thru 1980 on a regular basis and found it to be lots of fun to learn and met a bunch of great fly fishers over there.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Stream time maps are great and show a lot off access points also call some guides or outfitters its already paid off for me

First a disclaimer. I usually only fish steelies on the usual suspects, so I'm not sure how well my method would work.

But when looking for "lesser known" trout streams, the first thing I do is break out the DFG regs and see what is CLOSED. Once I know the places that I CAN"T fish, everything else is fair game. Then I break out the maps and start hunting. The biggest problems, as Darian mentioned, are A) are there any fish in the water, and B) how can you access the river.

Sometimes my forays are a total bust. But every once in a while the search pays off.

Reading reports on the net, calling around and looking at maps are certainly all helpful, but, in my opinion there is absolutely no substitute for going to look and learn for yourself. For one thing, learning where you can wade, where you can cross, which places get crowded early, where fish tend to stack up etc., etc. requires being there on the water and doing some walking around and investigating. For another, becoming truly knowledgeable about a place just demands that you learn it by experience, not by reading or hearing about it. Yes, a tip from a friend may give you a jumpstart, but nothing substitutes for time on the water - even the first time on the water. Call me old school, but paying your dues and putting in your time on a river is the only way to learn it.

Quote Originally Posted by frequent flyer View Post
    Reading reports on the net, calling around and looking at maps are certainly all helpful, but, in my opinion there is absolutely no substitute for going to look and learn for yourself. For one thing, learning where you can wade, where you can cross, which places get crowded early, where fish tend to stack up etc., etc. requires being there on the water and doing some walking around and investigating. For another, becoming truly knowledgeable about a place just demands that you learn it by experience, not by reading or hearing about it. Yes, a tip from a friend may give you a jumpstart, but nothing substitutes for time on the water - even the first time on the water. Call me old school, but paying your dues and putting in your time on a river is the only way to learn it.

You speak the truth... Nothing, and I mean nothing replaces time on the water. Coordinating that time with when the fish are around means that the time on the water may actually produce some results more that just casting practice. I understand that this is stuff best learned by experience but... my time is limited so when I head out I need to optimize. Hence... the request for tips.

Merry Christmas!

Ive probably put over 3500 hours plus into driving around when people though I was crazy. Go look at the empty river in summer, really learn the holes. Learn the river flow behavior in response to rain/snowmelt or lackthereof...

Not to be a jerk or anything....but you see why we are sensitive when weve spent tremendous energy and gas money doing research and being beat out by an ego-junkie posting online.

Also....you would be surprised how many guus who wont share info on the board might share in a PM.

Have fun hunting...

Quote Originally Posted by wjorg View Post
    Ive probably put over 3500 hours plus into driving around when people though I was crazy. Go look at the empty river in summer, really learn the holes. Learn the river flow behavior in response to rain/snowmelt or lackthereof...

Not to be a jerk or anything....but you see why we are sensitive when weve spent tremendous energy and gas money doing research and being beat out by an ego-junkie posting online.

Also....you would be surprised how many guus who wont share info on the board might share in a PM.

Have fun hunting...

Totally respect the time and energy doing research and scoping out Rivers. Did more than my fair share of it back in Michigan, when my road wasn't as narrow and gas was cheaper. I understand what it takes and just what a gem a "lesser known" river can actually be. I also understand that "knowledge" is earned... not asking for keys to the castle... that wouldn't be fair or prudent.

146 24-hour days scouting rivers and steelhead is nothing to sneeze at.

Man, posts like these can be like the "third rail" of fishing, as I've found out. I posted a similiar question once and got the same attitude too. Really, its virtual small talk, but that gets lost on some.
    So, I myself have been looking for those same waters. Here's what worked for me, so far.
    1. Only rivers hold fish, look for rivers with beach mouths.
    2. Only healthy rivers , hold fish worth looking for.
    3. Find healthy, beach mouthed accessible rivers.
    4. Google the rivers, and find DFG reports.
    Using these few steps, I've found out about waters, I didn't even know existed.
    5. Knowing when some places need to be left alone...........

Default California Steelhead by Jim Freeman

I suggest you pick up the old book by Jim Freeman 1984. It is a pretty good starting point. There is a lot of outdated info, but there is also some good stuff. You can buy it used on Ebay or Amazon. Since you live in Sonoma one of the rivers to explore is the Navarro. I guess that's all I should say. Walter might start throwing rocks. Good luck and happy hunting.