Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Beads for Steelhead

Anybody want to talk about religion? Maybe some politics?

Anyone???
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!

The idea of pegging a bead a few inches above the hook came about as a way to mitigate the deep hooking common to fishing egg flies. In Alaska, where the technique originated, the rainbow fisheries are catch and release. Fish tend to swallow egg flies, often leading to fatal hook sets.

when fishing beads, YES, the fish often do strike the bead and a hook set results in the hook piercing through the outer jaw. then the technical folks come in, cause a hook on the outside can be considered lining the fish despite the fact that fish did take the bead. not that lining a fish cannot happen but when people use the word lining its often used along with snagging, and often times fishing a bead doesnt actually snag a fish (although it can and does at times). look at that new system in all the magazines now (cant remember the name) where the fly is hookless and tied inches above the actual hook. it catches fish and those fish are not snagged. also, that system is stupid and using a bead is cheating.
    hey, careful man, there's a beverage here

My head hurts......

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    Ok,.... Sorry I brought this up. Just another "no win" situation on the ol' Steelhead Forum....
    It's a valid question you raise, it is just some folks have a really strong opinion on the subject. Their minds are made up and nothing will change it. Personally, I don't have an issue with it as long as you aren't snagging a bunch of fish with it. Beads are an awesome egg imitation so... you will have some folks pursue it.
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!

Buying 4 license from now on via Clarkston, WA

The popcorn has just finished, the beers are iced, and i am ready to follow the silliness of this well beaten topic.
    Not unless round's funny!?!

every year....

Actually for this thread I believe it would be ...........

"Beading a dead horse"

And for the record I think any thread with the words "nail polish" should be immediatly removed from any fly fishing board.

You guys were doing so well for awhile there. I say if you can't bead 'em join 'em. The bead of the week has been a very light orange mottled 6mm.

Hell may as well keep it going. How bout B.Clemens, He says something like " I'm not telling how I like to paint em" , But some posts later the dude asks how you guys like to paint em ? What the hell? I think theres some inspiration here...A new bead pattern ? Perhap Somebody should call it the douschbag. It might turn out to be a real winner. Beat the horse boys !!!