Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Beads for Steelhead

Quote Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
    Oh, sorry man. I thought that was salmon... Mostly because of where it was caught.
    Are you serious? Look at that fish again, look at its head. If thats a salmon, I'm Tiger Woods.....eeeww bad analogy.

MikeR nailed it. Fishing beads for salmon and fishing beads for steelhead is apples and oranges

Default Wow Guys

Get out and go fishing or somthing I really cant belive this one is still going

whats your guys favorite nail polish to use on beads

Quote Originally Posted by jbird View Post
    Are you serious? Look at that fish again, look at its head. If thats a salmon, I'm Tiger Woods.....eeeww bad analogy.

MikeR nailed it. Fishing beads for salmon and fishing beads for steelhead is apples and oranges
    Yeah, I took another look... Initially, I thought the gums were black. Taking another look the darkness is on the outside of the lips. Nice fish Notch. When I used to fish the outlet the only steelhead that were being caught were 15-16 inchers. He must have giving you a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by bclem81 View Post
    whats your guys favorite nail polish to use on beads
    It's gotta be black duuude. Black rocks.

Pretty funny to see picture of lined fish. Bobs fish has the hook on the outside of the mouth, and matts in in the front top corner...

They didnt tell you beads are supposed to work by hooking the outside of the face. Ask the guy who started it....

Beads in shallow rivers are ok. Deep rivers pose a problem towing the fish around by it maxillia.

Freaggin Sac fish are dying and mauled from idoiots and their beads...

If you dont like it. I dont give a hoot.

I have a tech question regarding pegging beads... Why peg them any more than a half an inch away from the bead? I have a hard time thinking that Bob's fish DIDN'T take the bead, but the inevitable outcome of this with the length of "leader" there is that it's hooked on the outside of the mouth, just like in the pic (and like the Moffit system).

Anyone?

_SHig

Quote Originally Posted by wjorg View Post
    Pretty funny to see picture of lined fish. Bobs fish has the hook on the outside of the mouth, and matts in in the front top corner...

They didnt tell you beads are supposed to work by hooking the outside of the face. Ask the guy who started it....

Beads in shallow rivers are ok. Deep rivers pose a problem towing the fish around by it maxillia.

Freaggin Sac fish are dying and mauled from idoiots and their beads...

If you dont like it. I dont give a hoot.

So... I take it you don't support fishing with beads?
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!

For what it is worth, the few times I have had success with the bead technique (for trout/steelhead) I had gone through several color changes without getting a single fish, then when I found the right color, I'd catch quite a few. That was often without changing location, or the rest of my set up, casting technique/line management. (I secure the bead in position by passing the line through the bead several times.) This has happened on more than one day. It seems to me that this means the fish is actively pursuing the 'right' colored egg. If it was all just 'lining' (I am not sure even what this means/is, but it sounds like it must be evil), wouldn't you catch just as many fish regardless of bead color?
    As I understand it, when the fish bites the bead and the fisherman reacts, the hookset will often drive the trailing hook into the outside of the mouth. Is this 'lining?' If it is, I don't understand why that is evil. It is not like you are trying to drag a hook into the side of a fish that is just passing by. Aren't all forms of fishing just trying to trick a fish into biting what's on the end of our line? (And of course, if we are lucky, so we can hook it and feel it's power and pull it in to look at it?)
    I have never salmon fished (except bait fishing in Alaska years ago), so my comments/questions are from ignorance, not meant to be inflammatory.
    Kurt
    Last edited by Kurt P; 12-20-2009 at 10:20 AM. Reason: spelling

Its a never ending debate ! Its like beating a dead horse ! I think it was mentioned that if you use beads for salmon you are "lining" them, Thats not always true, I used to fish the nisqually river in washington quite often for chums with bright green beads and a smalll peice of matching yarn and I have seen many times with my own eyes a salmon bite a bead out of reaction.