Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Beads for Steelhead

Default That looks nothing like me. The hair is all wrong!

How do we know, you always have that beanie on!! Haha good stuff guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post
    Whipster, you are consistent, I'll give you that.

It's very easy to get your insinuation, Aren't you really just snagging?

What you are not, IMHO, is respectful, courteous, polite, or even just nice in the way you react to other posters on this board.

Did you ever hear the one about 'if you haven't anything good to say'?

Here's a little mantra you may want to try next time a negative reply crosses your mind, and I'm sure it won't be long.

It goes like this.

"Let it slide", "Just let it slide."

Take a deep breath, nothing posted here is going to change the world. So just chill. And let it slide.

Ed (my real name)
    Ed, I was not bashing at all. I used to fish the outlet for salmon with a bead and I would line them. Everybody does that. I was asking a serious question. When I said "you" I meant everybody in general.

Last time I checked that wasn't a salmon in the picture. Just thought I'd throw that out there.... I think beading for salmon is one thing but steelies is totally different as they actively feed on eggs.

Honestly I would never bead myself but that's just me. For a lot of people it's very effective and it's a legal method of take as far as I know. Personally I'd like to see an underwater view of what the hell goes on but I assume the fish are taking the bead most of the time.

Here's my stance on a lot of stuff I disagree with.... to each his own. I fish for a challenge and beading doesn't seem very challenging, just like sight fishing steelies behind redds and stuff.... But hey, people want to catch fish so they do what's easy, maybe they're the smart ones compared to myself.
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jgoding View Post
    Last time I checked that wasn't a salmon in the picture. Just thought I'd throw that out there.... I think beading for salmon is one thing but steelies is totally different as they actively feed on eggs.

Honestly I would never bead myself but that's just me. For a lot of people it's very effective and it's a legal method of take as far as I know. Personally I'd like to see an underwater view of what the hell goes on but I assume the fish are taking the bead most of the time.

Here's my stance on a lot of stuff I disagree with.... to each his own. I fish for a challenge and beading doesn't seem very challenging, just like sight fishing steelies behind redds and stuff.... But hey, people want to catch fish so they do what's easy, maybe they're the smart ones compared to myself.
    I think were looking at different pictures...lol. The first few are steelies, but Notch's pic is a salmon. Notch, looks like you had the river to yourself... I didn't think that ever happens at the outlet.

Sorry about flying off the handle Whippersnapper(can we shorten that name?).

Still a bit overly sensitive I guess.

Ran out of Vagisil.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

try using beads on the yuba, or glo bugs, got to have the color almost perfect or they wont take it. (for the most part) i have gone through a lot of colors with both beads and glo bugs on the yuba with no fish, then finally i find the magic color and its on like crazy. but that goes to show the difference between wild fish (yuba) and hatchery fish (american) again for the most part.

That's actually a steelhead in my pic, and one of the biggest I've landed on the feather. It's a pretty bad photo but that fish was awesome. Yeah, the outlets are a ghost town once salmon season ends. The steelhead really stack up at the very top of the chute, and if you have the place to yourself you can get em' on a fly rod. I know it doesn't seem possible but I've done it before.

Quote Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
    I think were looking at different pictures...lol. The first few are steelies, but Notch's pic is a salmon. Notch, looks like you had the river to yourself... I didn't think that ever happens at the outlet.
    Oh Notch's fish, I was on the fence about that one, it is hard to tell if it's a steelhead or salmon but my first impression was steelheadish....haha.
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Fishing beads for salmon and fishing beads for steelies are totally different.

The salmon beads are small 4-5 ml beads used just to make it leagal-ish. Steelhead/trout beads are used to make the best imitation of salmon eggs possible. We use sizes from 6-10 mm and in eggy colors.

Please don't confuse the two, they're not even kinda close.

Mike
    Eat it. Eat it. Simon says EAT IT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Notch View Post
    That's actually a steelhead in my pic, and one of the biggest I've landed on the feather. It's a pretty bad photo but that fish was awesome. Yeah, the outlets are a ghost town once salmon season ends. The steelhead really stack up at the very top of the chute, and if you have the place to yourself you can get em' on a fly rod. I know it doesn't seem possible but I've done it before.
    Oh, sorry man. I thought that was salmon... Mostly because of where it was caught.