Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Beads for Steelhead

Default Beads for Steelhead

This is my first year out of ten that I finally gave in and started using beads for trout. I have to say they work better than glowbugs, other bugs and soft hackles behind salmon. I was on the Yuba last week, not a salmon in sight and the fish are still hitting the right color bead. I have yet to gill hook a fish, and have had a few fish on the outside of the mouth. Many guides use them now. I realize I am cheating, but it seems you can catch more fish. The latest Fly Fisherman Mag says the bead is common in Alaska. I also have found that you will not catch fish if you are not using the right color bead. There is some science to the whole thing. Are you guys using beads for steelhead on the Feather and American?

Nope... still a glow bug guy.
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!

SHHHHH!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Laskodi View Post
    SHHHHH!!!!!
    That poor steelhead never knew what happened. It was screaming so loud Bob had to Shush him. lol

Nice chromer there!! Looks like a caramel 10 or 12mm. Corner of the mouth. Is that from Alaska?

If I am fishing to steelhead that are actively feeding behind spawning salmon, as happens here in the Central Valley, then yep, I use beads. Beads are deadly in this situation.

However, If I am fishing on the coast or wherever and the steelhead are not feeding behind salmon but are just migrating, I never use beads, only glo-bugs. I like the buoyancy of glo-bugs better than the sink of beads in this application, and glo-bugs are nice and chewy. In my experience, when I get a bite, the steelheads will really hang on to the glo bug and you hook em'.

I don't think beads are cheating. Just a great idea!

This steelhead was happy about a big, quarter sized glo-ball! Matt

Ten-foot pole rule here.

Mike
    Eat it. Eat it. Simon says EAT IT!!!

Default Feather

For me the bead has always been the go-to on the Feather. I first started using them back in 02'-03' when the river was thick with salmon. It's been nowhere near as good as it was back then, but I'm sure the bead will still produce. This was THE spot to throw beads on the Feather back in the day:

Default Bead to Hook

Another nice fish there Matt! Did your bead slide down to the hook during the fight? I usually use a set up like Bob. Bead at 1-2 inches from hook. That is one of best colors though, orange mottled. A good way to keep the bead from sliding is to thread your line through the bead three to four times, the bead does'nt slide and you don't have to use a toothpick.

I prefer to use big soft hackles, and big bugs like October Caddis, Isonychias and Golden Stones on the Trinity. One of the best flies is the black and orange muddler that I have only seen at the Trinity fly shop. Fish come out of nowhere to grab that thing.

8mm orange beads but painted a special color, sorry boys aint giving the color up, but go to your local girly nail polish spot and look around, u will see some sick colors.