Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Spey Fly Swap

I'd like to get in on this.I think random pattern would be best.

Jay

Thumbs up

Thanks for the feedback. Based on the general consensus, it looks like we'll take the direction of general spey patter swap. At your earliest convenience, please indicate what you will be tying. If you have a photo, post it, and indicate the color variation you'll produce. It isn't a big deal if more than one person would like to tie the same pattern, as there will likely be variation in style, color, and materials used.

Here's who I have on the list so far:

1. Fish Head (me-Jason)
    2. Cody
    3. Speyfool
    4. NVswitch
    5. Fats
    6. Craig
    7. Littletrukee

We still need some more tiers (4) at this point in time. I'll give the posting another week or so ... then it's off to the vices we go!

Here's a general time frame to consider:
    December 31 we call the swap with who we have, if not full (11 max).
    Send your flies to me no later than January 31.
    I'll send them back to you no later than February 7.

I will cut off the swap participation rate at 11 tiers (max). This means you tie 10 flies of a single pattern of choice and get 10 different flies back in the mail. If you do 11 flies, you'll get one of yours back, which is pointless.

Once complete, you'll need to send me your flies, and will also need to include with your shipment a self addressed postage-paid return envelope.
    FISH HARD OR GO HOME

Ok, just to be clear, this is no longer a spey fly swap, but is instead an "any kind of steelhead fly" swap?

By the way, I suspect why most swapmeisters request 11 tiers tie 11 flies is because it makes the sorting so much easier at the end -- you don't have to account for which fly should be missing from each box. Guess it just depends on how organized you are.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

I'm in. Just let me know the details when this thing goes down. I'm willing to tie (or try to tie) just about anything. Tube flies are preferred.
    >>>
    >>>

"No. I uh... I put... uh... Why, you buying?"
    -Roy Munson

http://www.sac-sierratu.org/

Put me down for a herniator...
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker View Post
    Ok, just to be clear, this is no longer a spey fly swap, but is instead an "any kind of steelhead fly" swap?

By the way, I suspect why most swapmeisters request 11 tiers tie 11 flies is because it makes the sorting so much easier at the end -- you don't have to account for which fly should be missing from each box. Guess it just depends on how organized you are.

Hairstacker,

I agree the direction of the swap may be a little 'grey' at this point. This swap is for 'general' steelhead patters that you would typically use on a spey rod only, in a 'swinging' manner. Clear as mud? Some examples for this swap might be silver Hilton, intruder, herniator, brindle bug, string leach, shrimp patterns, winter's hope, orange heron, maribou popsicles etc. Flies that wouldn't fit the task at hand would be golden stone nymphs, egg patterns. Does this help?

As for the number of tiers to flies ... my preference is to not get one of your own flies back. I've done it both ways in the past, and don't mind the additional organization effort

So Hairstacker ... are you in on the swap?
    FISH HARD OR GO HOME

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Head View Post
    Does this help?
    Yes, very much so, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Head View Post
    So Hairstacker ... are you in on the swap?
    Not sure yet . . . I'm not that familiar with these kinds of flies, so I'd like to figure out a pattern before I commit.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Blue and green maribou for me.

Very un-like me but... I'm done with the flies! I had a girls BBall game to supervise last night, no crowd of which to speak. The traveling kit was packed just in case and one dozen flies latter...

A stack up #8 cone head heriators.

PM me an address as some point and I'll get them mailed...
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!

Spey Swap Update ...

Here's who I have on the list so far:

1. Fish Head
    2. Cody
    3. Speyfool
    4. NVswitch
    5. Fats - cone head heriators
    6. Craig
    7. Littletrukee - blue and green maribou
    8. IronMtn

It would be great to get a few more participants by the cut off date, which is December 31. If we don't get 11 participants, it's all good .... just fewer flies in the mix.

If you haven't done so already, and your name is on the list, please indicate what pattern you will tie for the swap.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!
    FISH HARD OR GO HOME