Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about a rod

looks like a sweet rod - were you using a skagit method of casting or touch and go casts?

Skagit. Still a newb so keepin' it simple.

_SHig

Your finishing looks great! With my eyes I'm lucky to get a straight line in. My rods probably look like garbage to anybody else but I can't tell much of a difference. BTW, if you are looking for some custom inserts or cork grips, let me know I have a friend who turns them.
    Itchin' for a fishin'

Quote Originally Posted by ted1 View Post
    Your finishing looks great! With my eyes I'm lucky to get a straight line in. My rods probably look like garbage to anybody else but I can't tell much of a difference. BTW, if you are looking for some custom inserts or cork grips, let me know I have a friend who turns them.
    Thanks! Of course when you fish the rod less than 12 cold hours after you mix the Flex Coat, it may not matter!

I may hit you up about your friend. Hard to find good cork these days, and when you do, bend over!!

_SHig

Quote Originally Posted by SHigSpeed View Post
    BTW, I just finished up my 1087 Rainshadow switch last night and took it down to the Yuba still tacky:

Didn't catch any fish, but I like it a lot. Still may need to tweak the line and any input would be gladly accepted! I've already gotten some good info via PM.

The main line I was using was the body of a Windcutter 10/11 (I think) without the tip 2. Basically a 21" head at 360 grains plus a 15' 115 grain sinktip. I was swinging buggers and leeches using this setup and it felt pretty good actually. I may have even seen a nice tight loop or two, and snagged brush from the opposite bank so I was hammering casts like a rockstar! (Okay, maybe not...)

When I went later to an intermediate tip, same grain and length, I started having more problems. Not sure if I was tending to rip out my anchor or if I was getting tired. Probably just that I need more practice.

Regardless, I did have some issues with hooking myself including once in the nose with a wicked wraparound stick. Barbless is the law, and your friend!

BTW, the rod was built using Batson/Forecast components though instead of using their, eh, unique bactrian camel foregrip I used their preformed full wells grip and added 2-1/2" to it in the middle and blended it in. I think I may do some more sanding to bring the diameter down a bit in the front half of the foregrip. The foregrip came in at just a hair under 10", and if I were to do it again I may add another 1/2" to 1". I used their standard switch rear grip though.

_SHig

So, if you don't mind me asking, what do you have in that rod right now?
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by Fats View Post
    So, if you don't mind me asking, what do you have in that rod right now?
    Let's just say a bit of change less than half of what a new Deer Creek or Beulah would cost.

_SHig

SHig, Well done, you have built a very nice rod. I would be happy to develope a line recipe for that rod, similar to the process I do for Meiser. There is a limit to how much of a fly you can throw with your rod because of it's power, 5 wt single, 3 wt spey, but with some new lines that I am developing for Meiser, HighWater Short, we can kick your flies up a lot. My philosphy is, you pick the fly, the fly chooses the front taper, the front taper chooses the driver, the driver picks the rod. Call me, 541-840-2594, steve

Default batson 1086

Quote Originally Posted by SPG View Post
    Rick J, I like what you have done with the Fisher and you are right about the 1085 being a great rod for the Klamath. Gary Anderson and I have written a line recipe for this rod, not that it should not be tweaked for a specific individual, but as a base recipe from ACR Scandi Heads, it should be 26 feet and 260 grains, with a belly dia of .082 and a front taper of .022 per foot. On a speed scale of 1-10, the 1085 is a 5.7, slightly faster than med. If you cast more than 260 grains at 26 feet you prefer to slow the rod down, because you like a slower stroke, which is how the great casters use lines to tune them to a specific rod. Some of the best casters I build rods for have a slow stroke, under 5. The ultimate casting outfit will occur when your natural casting acceleration is matched to a rod speed and a line speed. The silver bullet occures when the caster, the rod, and the line all come together. steve
    Steve. I have a rainshadow 1086 and would love to buy a multi-tip line for it, including a foating tip. I am a newbie to switch/spey casting so I don't completely follow the line discussions here, but I believe you mentioned in a post a few months back that you and gary had designed such a line. I emailed gary via his website a while ago but havent heard back. Can you steer me in the right direction?

Thanks

Jim Davenport

Jim, Call me and we can discuss the different ways to design your line system. steve 541-840-2594

Sweet SHig! I'm glad you were able to finish it.