Thread: "Piscatorial Absurdities"

Default "Piscatorial Absurdities"

"A Fly-Fisherman's Guide to Radical Freshwater Ultralight Spin Fishing" by Joe Robinson. Our friend, co-worker (Sportsman's Finest, Austin, TX) and all around great guy Joe Robinson has finally put the finishing touches on his new book, and it is back from the printer! Joe did extensive research for his treatise, including publications, catalogs, and other writings from as far back as the 1950's. He also participated in countless hours of personal research, experimentation, and confirmation. The end product is truly an entertaining read, and can help one diversify their offerings to fish in the 1 to 3 pound range. If you are a small stream or high sierra practitioner, I highly recommend getting a copy. They are $20, plus shipping. Send me a PM or call me at the shop (512-263-188 if you are interested. Thanks, Brett

Default A little history about Joe

Joe used to teach with Dave Whitlock at LL Bean in Maine. In 1988 they were fishing the Androscoggin River and having very little luck with fly gear. At this point, Dave switched over to ultralight spinning gear and proceeded to catch a fish on three casts in a row. Joe was "flabbergasted" to say the least, and also "hooked" (no pun intended)! None of the stuff they were doing was new. Famous fly fishers like Lefty K., Chico F., Joan & Lee W., and Joe B., amongst many others, are/were all accomplished ultralight spin fishermen (and women). Defining "ultralight" is a fairly broad task, yet in this case we are following AJ McClane's 1965 definition "ultralight lines are lines testing 1.75 to 3.00 pound-test, capable of casting lures in the 1/64th to 1/16 ounce size." In other words, 6x to 8x tippet material!