Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Putah Creek

Well, that oughta thin out the shore trash now.

so did the regs just get changed to catch and release or did it get designated a wild and seenic creek? or am i misunderstanding and its the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by joshfish View Post
    so did the regs just get changed to catch and release or did it get designated a wild and seenic creek? or am i misunderstanding and its the same thing?
    The regulations have been changed to catch and release year round, but the creek has not yet been designated as a wild trout fishery. That is in the works, though.
    "Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught."

First of all, a big congratulations to the Putah Creek trout folks. A tremendous effort by a group of individuals who got involved and impacted "the process".

But as I read the proposed regs, it looks as if it's C&R year round, but with NO gear restrictions, meaning that an individual could legally use bait with a barbed hook as long as no fish were taken. I hope I'm wrong here, but this is what I'm seeing ("only artificial lures and barbless hook" language is stricken out).

Perhaps there was an oversight, and clarifying language that reflects intent for artificial only could be included before the regs are officially promulgated by the Office of Administrative Law.

The regulation change proposed by Putah Creek Trout was for zero limit and artificial lures with barbless hooks year round. It is my understanding that this is what has passed.
    "Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught."

Whew! I was originally reading the June 2009 proposed regs. I see it was changed to artificial and barbless year-round in later versions..................

This is the best thing that's happened to Putah since the dam was built.