Thread: Hotel Punta Colorada report , part 1

Default Hotel Punta Colorada report , part 1

( To keep the level of detail up , I'm doing this report in sections .... the first is Hotel and people stuff , the second will be tackle/flies , and the third will be fish and fishing tales . Hope it isn't too boring ..... Also please note - I don't work for any tackle Mfg. , and I don't get squat for free ...,. so my opinions on gear and Hotel are mine alone , and not payed for in ANY way .)

The Hotel -

Perfect , beautiful , and clean . Large amounts of good food , though it got a little redundant after 15 days . The staff is always great - funny , helpful , and very kind . Trip cost quite a bit less than $2,000. USD per person , including car rental , airfare , and Hotel . The Cabana room we stayed in had more than enough room to keep rods set up at all times . Morning fishing grounds are 50 yards from your front door . Owner/Manager Eddie Albert Van Wormer went WAAAAY out of His way to make sure we were happy . No matter how busy He was , He always stopped by to check on us , offer an invite to dinner , or just connect for a few moments - we were treated more like Family than tourists ! A very nice Man .

Bobby Van Wormer , the founder of the Hotel , is in declining health . He is a great guy and we hope for the best for Him . On a very sad note - my good Friend Ramon , the Groundskeeper @ HPC , died in a tragic home accident in October , before we arrived . Ramon lived 80+ years in the area , and had a wealth of info to share with me - to say I missed Him would be an understatement - most mornings while hunting before the sun came up , I could FEEL Him watching me from the stone porch of the Hotel . I was lucky to know Him , if only for a few short years ....

The other guests -

Being the 'off' season , there were few other folks around . I think we had 20+ one night for dinner . Mostly Families and couples . All were great . Guest Jim Maddox gave me a hook file (I managed to forget my hones , so I was screwed in the sharpening department until Jim saved my ass) and left a case and a half of Pacifico's He couldn't take home . Near the end of our stay there was a group from a tackle shop on the North coast - drunk , loud , and stupid . One of them actually speared a 10-12 Lb. Rooster and wanted the Barman to make Cerviche out of it (the Barman , to His credit , flatly refused to waste cerviche fixins' )?!? That was about the only 'down' thing that happened .

La Ribera -

Dusty little (pop. 2,000) town , a few miles North of HPC - nice place to visit , shop , or have lunch (try the Marisco place on the beach road for God-like Shrimp tacos) . The locals are Friendly .... and the exchange rate was 12.5 pesos for 1 USD . We shopped at El Puerto Market and never had a problem ..... Gas is available at Pemex on the beach road . Well worth your time to make a visit .

Local fishing -

Rent a Jeep . Your sub-compact is great for getting into La Ribera for Beers and such , but with a 4WD Jeep or truck , you can access most of the coastal roads and fish areas where the wind isn't screwing you (Punta Arena ALWAYS has bait/gamefish/a lee from the North wind) . DO NOT try the drive to Punta Arena/the Lighthouse in a small car - we made it only once and the fear of being stuck took the fun out of the fishing . You can walk to El Faro (the Lighthouse) from HPC , figure 1 1/2 hours one-way (bring water , you'll need it) . If you choose to drive to Punta Arena , there is a security guy that'll ask you how long you intend to stay , what you are doing , get your licence plate number , etc. - He is a nice dude , but His English is worse than your Spanish , so be prepared .

We fished north to the big arroyo beach a mile or so South or La Ribera , and South to the Panga camp @ Punta Arena . Between the Lighthouse and the old fish camp ...... the possibilities are endless and ANYTHING can happen . Dorado were seen by the Mexicans in the wash (10 feet from the sand) in this area during our visit , and Tuna have been taken from the beach here . Hit this part of the East Cape during low light , and hit it HARD - use heavy gear and expect the unexpected .

Beach fishing hazards include two flavors of Jellyfish (common after the wind)- the small Bule/Purple Man O' war , and the fearsome Whitish/clear Malo Agua . I was lucky and didn't get nailed , but Candida was hit by both . Wear the correct footwear and long nylon pants. After a good blow , the surf can be more than a little rough - after fishing it for a spell .... you will learn how to cast , strip , and check the horizon for nasty incoming waves .... all while avoiding sneaker waves that will soak both you and your expensive gear . I wear a light nylon windbreaker and never have any regrets .

Footwear -

Barefoot on the beach is comfortable , but every single nick on your dogs WILL go septic after a day or two . Step on a Jelly , or dead Puffer ..... that is the end of the fun . I use cheap Flats Boots from Cabelas (I know Kienes carries a bunch of different brands) and never have problems . Mind your hands , as well - every line cut/fish bite will go puffy/weepy/painful in short order , so take the time to clean and dress EVERY cut or scrape - few things on your trip will suck as hard as dropping fish because your hands are nasty . Use a stripping guard or glove .

On to part two - tackle and flies ......

David
    Last edited by David Lee; 12-04-2009 at 09:45 AM.