Thread: Question: MOAL Leech

Default Question: MOAL Leech

I just watch a video in which Derek Fergus was interviewed about the MOAL leech. I have been interested in learning to tie this fly for a while and had some questions concerning the "how to" part.

My first question concerns the stringer hook. In this video it sounded like he was using Gel spun thread for the stringer hook. Does this sound correct to you fellas who have tied MOAL leeches?

My second question concerns the fur. From what it sounds like when tying the MOAL leech you actually wrap the rabbit strips around the stringer. Does this sound correct?

I have searched the all knowning internet and found one tutorial but it did not look like what Fergus was tying and I liked the look of Fergus' MOAL.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Its a killer fly for sure and many different ways to tie it.

This is a good link and a bit easier than some other methods.

http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/moaleech.html

Quote Originally Posted by WT View Post
    I just watch a video in which Derek Fergus was interviewed about the MOAL leech. I have been interested in learning to tie this fly for a while and had some questions concerning the "how to" part.

My first question concerns the stringer hook. In this video it sounded like he was using Gel spun thread for the stringer hook. Does this sound correct to you fellas who have tied MOAL leeches?

My second question concerns the fur. From what it sounds like when tying the MOAL leech you actually wrap the rabbit strips around the stinger. Does this sound correct?

I have searched the all knowning internet and found one tutorial but it did not look like what Fergus was tying and I liked the look of Fergus' MOAL.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    If we are talking about the same youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqRG2iXosWw), I think he was talking about gel spun backing, not thread. Thread would be too light for big fish, whereas you can get GSP backing in 30# or 50# (Spiderwire or Fireline would probably work just as well). Pretty sure Kiene's has what you need for sale by the foot (gel-spun polyethylene backing is popular in saltwater fishing). I typically just use Dacron backing myself.

The stinger is usually left dangling at the end without rabbit wrapped around it. Some leave a large loop so the stinger can be changed, but Fergus appeared to dismiss this method.

There are lot's of discussions of this and other string leeches on the Washington BBS, here's a place to get you started: http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/...highlight=moal
    -JD

Easymends and JD -

Thanks for the info I think I now know what I need to do. I will post some pics of what I come up with after the holidays.

Tightlines-

Here are a couple I tied up a few years ago - I have gone to just rabbit strip leeches as they are easier to tie and not as heavy - the MOAL really soaks up water. I used spider wire backing and crazy glued the rabbit wrapping around the backing line

As I said I much prefer tubes or rabbit strips as shown or even marabou as they cast much easier

An option are the intruders such as tied by Ed Ward and others

I use gell spun backing and i use the teal colored bottle of Zap-a-gap its a softer glue when dry than the pink bottle of zapagap or super glue.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azX0nEEnzL8 this vido quality is not the best but the way he ties his moal leech i have found to be very effective