Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Swappin' time (or, this isn't your Dad's dry fly collection)

John, I assume you're referring to the Dark Lords.

I debated with myself on how to tie those Zug Bugs, particularly since I've never actually seen one in person. It came down to whether to (i) simply wrap the herl around the hook to make them look fluffy and pretty or (2) to braid the herl around the thread and wrap the resulting braid to make the fly much more durable but less pretty. I chose the latter, as I'm presuming (actually hoping ) these flies will be fished.

In any event, nothing would please me more than to subsequently hear folks fished 'em and caught fish. Swaps are great and fun and all, but sometimes I wished we got more feedback when the flies were actually used to catch fish. Do you guys ever think that way?
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker View Post
    In any event, nothing would please me more than to subsequently hear folks fished 'em and caught fish. Swaps are great and fun and all, but sometimes I wished we got more feedback when the flies were actually used to catch fish. Do you guys ever think that way?
    I don't know about the others, but I certainly plan on fishing them. And you're right Mike, it would be really cool to hear that others are using flies you tied to catch fish. For me, it's really rewarding to catch a fish on a fly I tied, but satisfaction goes up another level when somebody else has the pleasure of getting a fish to net on something I made for them

BTW, received the Bead Head Flashback Pheasant Tails from Mrs.Finsallaround (Robin), as well as the MultiColored Wiggle Tails from gene goss. Y'all are going to LOVE this collection! These flies are beautiful. We gotta make sure to fish 'em

John

And Robin, wow! Great job on all the tags.

Mine are done and will be in the mail tomorrow. Frog snot for everyone. Just so you know I tie the most simple flies this one is only two materials, but so far it has worked great.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by jburge View Post
    it would be really cool to hear that others are using flies you tied to catch fish. For me, it's really rewarding to catch a fish on a fly I tied, but satisfaction goes up another level when somebody else has the pleasure of getting a fish to net on something I made for them
    Year before last, I worked the GBF booth at the Salmon Festival, helping kids to tie woolybuggers... The following April, at the Kiene's Expo, one of the kids I had helped found me to tell me he'd fished the fly I helped him to learn to tie and he'd caught some great fish on it.... It was VERY cool
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

Alrighty, we're "officially" (as official as these things get) at the due date and I've posted the latest status on the first page of this thread. There are several folks who've contacted me to let me know the flies are in the mail, so as soon as I receive them, I can get to work on sorting and returning. I've contacted those I haven't heard from yet. I'll keep y'all up to date on what I know and when I can turn these flies around back to you. Thanks!

John

John, I was just reviewing your update on page 1 and noticed you have me down for the "Slug Bug." Now I know my Zug Bugs can easily be mistaken for the typically more chaotic, haphazardly executed Slug Bug pattern but I had in fact intended to tie Zug Bugs.
    -- Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker View Post
    John, I was just reviewing your update on page 1 and noticed you have me down for the "Slug Bug."
    Mike,

There's no way your Zug Bug could be mistaken for the "Slug Bug" that immediately comes to my mind. I spent way too many years playing the Slug Bug game with my daughter in the car -- you yell it out every time you see a Volkswagen beetle. Let's see... what weight rod would you need to cast a fly THAT big?!

Got it fixed, sorry about that!

John

No big deal, I got a kick out of it.
    -- Mike

If we are going to get picky about names, my fly is called "Frog Snot" it is not a olive wiggle tail.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Hope we get them soon... I've got a fish-out on the Yuba River in February that I plan to use a few of these babies on!
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."