Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Swappin' time (or, this isn't your Dad's dry fly collection)

Default Swappin' time (or, this isn't your Dad's dry fly collection)

So here's a thought... given it's that time of year where a lot of us are going subsurface for our beloved trout, how about a swap? We can base it on the collection of suggestions that came up on this thread:

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthre...t=16219&page=4

I don't mind playing host if there's interest. I can post some general rules and hopefully we can all have some fun and learn from each other too.

Swap is CLOSED.

-----

Here we go (due date Jan 11):

1. jburge - Sloan's Mighty Mite
    2. Hairstacker - Zug Bug - RECEIVED
    3. WoolyBugger - Dark Lord - RECEIVED
    4. Scott V - Frog Snot - COMING...
    5. Guppy - Bird's Nest - RECEIVED
    6. gene goss - MultiColor Wiggle Tail - RECEIVED
    7. flounder - Prince Nymph - RECEIVED
    8. CODY - TBD - DROPPED
    9. slage - Silver Fork Special - RECEIVED
    10. nrvi - Fox's Poopah - RECEIVED
    11. Mrs.Finsallaround - Bead Head Flashback Pheasant Tail - RECEIVED
    12. troutbm - Hare's ear emerger - ???
    Last edited by jburge; 01-15-2010 at 07:19 AM. Reason: updates

The Ultimate Trout Subsurface Fly Collection? I'm in!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Sounds like fun. Winter is for tyin' anyway! Once the rules and regulations are decided I'll chime in with my pattern.

-Ben

OK, well with Hairstacker and WoolyBugger in, that's 3 of us. We're one quarter there

How's this... without being too cumbersome, here's what we can all keep in mind. BTW, I know some of you are "veteran" swappers and swapmeisters. You know how this works, but for those of you who want to jump in for the first time or need a reminder, here ya go:

- First 12 to say, "I'm in," are in. You don't need to name your fly immediately, but the sooner the better 'cause it's helps others choose.

- Due date is January 11. That's 6 weeks out which is a little bit longer than most swaps, but since we're approaching holiday season and things can get pretty hectic, that should be plenty of time. And just because it's next year, don't forget about it completely

- All tiers tie up 12 flies (11 if you don't want one of yours back).

- Once you're done tying, you can post a notice online or send me a PM. I'll send you my mailing address.

- When mailing your flies, please put them in a durable container (a lot of people use Altoid tins) and then put the container in strong envelope or box (personally, I like to send my flies in a padded envelope).

- Please be sure to include an additional self-addressed and postage paid envelope or box so that I can send the swap flies back to you.

- Please "toe tag" your flies--a little strip of paper with the name of the fly, your online name (optional email too so that other tiers can email you for tying instructions), and the name of the swap, "Ultimate Subsurface Trout Collection."

- When I receive the flies, I will post it online.

- Once I have sorted, packaged and mailed the flies back, I will let you know by posting online.

- Once you have received your set of flies, please let me/us know by posting online.

If you all like, I can take some macro photos and post them too. Just let me know what you think.

BTW, a big thanks to Hairstacker (Mike) for his encouragement. It should be a lot of fun with some laughs and learning in between. Thanks!

John

You know you can count me in, and I'll even send you your box of flies from the last swap on the other board. I bet you thought I forgot, well I did but I will get them out tomorrow.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Add me to the list

Question Toe Tags

John,.... Just a quick suggestion from a non-participant. How about just the name of the pattern on the "Toe Tag" Anything more than that makes a toe sheet. If you make the print smaller to enter it all, guys like me can't read it without a magnifier.... unless tying a unique pattern, the recipe will appear on the internet somewhere and if the pattern is unique, the recipe could be posted on-line, here....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian,

"Toe sheet," LOL. Fine by me if the toe tag has just the name of the fly. I've seen everything from each fly packaged in its own individual plastic wrap with a business card "tag," to hand scrawled little scraps of paper. I just thought it'd be easier to see at-a-glance the name of the fly and who tied it. I'm easy.

And Scott,

I figured you didn't forget Besides, I know where you fish... sometimes. Ha!

John

Hey John, I was there yesterday catching trout!!!
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

You can add my name to the list if you don't mind the same old wiggle tail.....maybe a different color for the new year....i heard that black is out and pink is in.