Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Boater Etiquette

Sometimes I'll start a drift 100ish yds in front of someone else because when its crowded out there there is not much choice...
    Hmmm . . .I would seriously re-think that one -- that's on the top ten list of things that piss people off the most. If it's crowded, you should seriously consider finding another slough. Just saying.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

I try and maintain a reasonable distance from other boats but when drifting there is that frequent question of "do I go up to the top of the slot where there are 3 boats already or do I start down here 100 yards below the last guy and just drift ahead of him." I also like to stip and talk to other flyfishers both to try and learn something and because I occasionally meet others from this board and Blanton's by doing so.

The encounter Andan mentioned was quite a pleasant one on my end. My dad and I had not yet picked up any fish that morning when we decided to try a stretch of rip rap about 100 yards "up tide" from another fly fisher. We saw him land a fish soon after. A few minutes later, that guy called out that we should move closer to him as he was into a school of fish. When I cruised over on the trolling motor, we quickly started up a conversation and recognized each other (Andan and I met at last fall's Kiene's group Delta trip).

About that time, another guy joined the line up in a bass boat (back where I had started). After a bit, he pulled out and ran down a couple of hundred yards below us to fish around an island, and when he pulled out of there 30 minutes later he stopped to talk and told us that there was another school down there. We ended up down there and picked up a couple more fish.

At the other end, one morning this summer on the American I mistakenly cut the motor and started drifting rudely close below another guy in a boat. I had misread what he was doing--I thought he was anchored when I cut the motor, but he was just briefly holding position in his drift. I had intended to just drift away from him but ended up just crowding him as he came down stream.

He came down and suggested--firmly but not too rudely--that we not do that again, and I apologized for my mistake before he motored off upstream. That's how you learn....
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Question 100 Yards....

I'm wondering what the acceptable perimeter is for an anchored boat or person wading in situations where boats/people are crowded Mike mentioned that 100 yards may be too close (pissing people off).... There's not many bait, fly or lure caster that is able to cast 100 yards from the center of a boat or wading position.... It takes a world class sprinter about 9.0 seconds to run that far.... IMHO, 100 yards is an unreasonable demand.

Most of the Striper guys I've seen are on the move. So, unless they crowd my spot (50' or less) there's little chance we're going to trespass on another's fish. I'm not even going to try to address rivers/streams having observed some really bad behavior by some amateur boaters as well as guides in this element.

So, what is an acceptable distance for separation
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian, I wasn't thinking of anchored boats. Rather, I was thinking of the situation where a boat is steadily working its way down a levee and another boat cuts in ahead to work in the same direction. I think most would consider that a no-no.
    -- Mike

Cool Moving/Unanchored....

Sooooo,.... If a boater is working a particular section of bank in any direction and another boater pulls into the same bank/direction but 100 yards away and begins fishing, that's unacceptable No disagreement if the second boat sets an opposing direction.

If both boats are approximately 100 yards apart and moving in the same direction, fishing the same bank, I really don't see that as unreasonable. If either crowds the other, that would be objectionable. Barring crowding, by the time the following boat arrives at the bank fished by the other, the fish should be settled down and ready to bite again. My assumption is based on neither boat wanting to move to another spot.

The main issue in Delta fishing from a powered boat (during the sunny times) is the number of boats out there. Overcrowding is the norm.... Do we stop fishing or become a bit more accommodating to allow room for everyone (within reason)
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian, I don't see an issue pulling 100 yards behind a boat and following . . . I'm talking about pulling in front of the boat and leading.

It would be interesting to post this scenario on the fishsniffer or some of the big bass boards. . . .
    -- Mike

I try and stay out of discussions like this because no single answer is correct. Way too many variables and circumstances to make each situation different. However, it is my belief that if you give another boat 100 yards space between you, you are far more courteous than 99% of the other boaters out there, and I would not complain. Now, 100 feet is a different scenario!

I have to concede it does depend on the circumstances. In a slough that has bends and curves to it, at 100 yards neither you or the other party may even be aware of each other's existence. On the other hand, on a staight canal like Victoria, it would be very evident if you pulled in ahead. Good point.
    -- Mike

Thumbs up Solitude....

Mike,.... I tried to describe the situation whether one direction of movement/travel or the other. I have to agree with Bob L. 99% of boaters/fisherman wouldn't bat an eye at moving within 100 yards of another boater/fisherman regardless of the direction of travel.

Not sure I see any difference between a slough full of curves or straight. IMHO, if it doesn't matter in one because the second boater can't be seen, it shouldn't be a problem when you can see it. Seems to me that the point of being out there is to catch fish not object to another boat/person being within a self imposed 100 yard perimeter of another....

It just doesn't seem reasonable to me to expect anyone else to observe a 100 yard limit around my boat when on the Delta or a lake.... I recognize that there is some distance that is acceptable, tho. Just not sure what it is.... Maybe, as Bob mentioned, 100'

Im' not interested in what they say on other BB's about this. Kiene's BB is enough. It's been my experience that most people tend to be a lot more assertive on a BB than they would in person. So, I'd be willing to bet all of the people on FishSniffer and other BB's would pull into a bank within 100 yards of another boater, as well; even if they say they wouldn't....

Having said all of this, I do believe that it's important to observe good behavior/etiquette by trying not to intrude on others waters. I just think there's got to be more acceptable/reasonable distance....

Author unknown

Non issue for me. The discussion here is why, a handful of people on a forums will have different levels of disagreement on the rules of boating and fishing etiquette, now think of the thousands on our waterways everyday who also have differing opinions, there is gonna be problems out there. Things I have absolutely no control over are not going to get my blood pressure up or ruin my day, if someone is too close, cuts me off or whatever I just continue fishing or move on. Good discussion, just my 2 cents.