Thread: Shasta Area Report

Default Shasta Area Report

The Klamath has been unbelievable, the fishing (and catching) is as good as we have ever seen it at this time of year with stacks of steelhead for everyone and more big fish arriving daily. The Upper Sacramento River continues to fish well at very low flows (making it technical) with October Caddis and Blue Wing Olives well under way and some of the best dry fly fishing still ahead of us. While the egg bite on the Lower Sacramento River was short lived again this year, good hatches of Blue Wing Olives and Caddis have kept the big trophy 'bows on the grab. The McCloud, Hat Creek and Fall Rivers reopen April 2010. Check out the complete fishing report on our website for the details.
    Craig Nielsen

Thanks Craig

I guess that is the Iron Gate to I5 area on the Klamath?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Upper Klamath

Bill:
    Most of the fish are stacked in the Upper River below the dam but many fish are staged well below. While we are finding a very good number of adult fish there are still very few hatchery steelhead that have arrived. The bulk of the run along with the big wild fish that show up with them are reported downstream and are running a bit late. This weather will hopefully draw them up river!

I was on the Klamath again today with a regular who is 74. He has been fishing since his childhood and is a well traveled angler. He claimed it was the most successful day of fishing he has ever had in the lower 48, surpassed only by a trip he took on the Kanektok in Alaska a few years back. A bold claim but it has been pretty darn good.

I'll be guiding the Klamath for the next 7 out of 8 days then will take a couple days off to celebrate the Holiday with family that is visiting. Drop a line if you are headed this way, happy to share all I can.
    Craig Nielsen