Thread: Shasta Area Report

Default Shasta Area Report

The Klamath has been unbelievable, the fishing (and catching) is as good as we have ever seen it at this time of year with stacks of steelhead for everyone and more big fish arriving daily. The Upper Sacramento River continues to fish well at very low flows (making it technical) with October Caddis and Blue Wing Olives well under way and some of the best dry fly fishing still ahead of us. While the egg bite on the Lower Sacramento River was short lived again this year, good hatches of Blue Wing Olives and Caddis have kept the big trophy 'bows on the grab. The McCloud, Hat Creek and Fall Rivers reopen April 2010. Check out the complete fishing report on our website for the details.
    Craig Nielsen

Default Nice try

Everyone is still going to go to the Trinity, but it was a nice try. Why would anyone want to fish in relative solitude for steelhead when they could line up around Weaverville.

Default Re Klamath

Craig
    Thanks for the report.
    I have been hoping to get up there soon... are you guiding up at iron gate, or down around happy camp, or where?

Thanks
    Jim

Default Hey jim

By the pics on his home page i would guess up by Iron gate

Unhappy Klamath Steelhead

I'm sure glad they are in the K. I would have thought, given the Columbia is having a banner year (3+X the 10-year average), and the K is doing well, the Trinity would as well. My record for seven days is: 1 large (over 10 lbs.) brown lost, 4 tugs, 1 gooood pull and 1 rise to a bomber (missed and wouldn't return). I am so bummed. Very few fish being caught, even the guides are having blank days. Funny thing is, I was at the TR Hatchery on Monday and in the pool just below the ladder, there were many large, wild bucks. Big Skeena River like red stripes on them. They may be there, but it's very slow.
    Robert

Default Klamath River at Iron Gate and below

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Craig
    Thanks for the report.
    I have been hoping to get up there soon... are you guiding up at iron gate, or down around happy camp, or where?

Thanks
    Jim
    Jim:
    Sorry I did not reply sooner. I have been on the river along with a house full of company and without Internet for a few days, whew, just getting caught up.
    We've been up top below Irongate. Fishing continues to be excellent. Hooked the biggest fish of the season today, got a jump/swirl next to the boat before losing him. Half pounder's continue to be grabby as well for pretty steady action all day. Drop me a line before you head this way if you'd like more details.
    Craig Nielsen

Thanks Craig.

If I can get a way from this pesky work and other frustrating impediments to fishing I will drop you a line.... by the way, what is going to happen if we get a big rain - will that help or hurt the fishing up at iron gate do you think?

Jim

Default Klamath & Rain

More rain will likely draw more Steelhead into the Upper Klamath. It does blow out in the very biggest storms, but may be the last river in the state to do so.
    Craig Nielsen

thanks Craig.

Jim