Thread: Calaveras River?

Question Calaveras River?

I've been doing a little research and I'm not finding a lot of info on this river. So it's time to ask the experts. I am interested in fishing the lower section below the dam.
    #1 Flows are at 20 cfs right now. Is that to low to fish?
    #2 Whats the nearest fly shop?
    #3 I think I need a bay/delta stamp. True?
    #4 Other special regs. I need to know about.
    #5 Is there decent camping close by?
    #6 Hows the fishing?

You will notice I'm not asking for secret spots or names. If this is your home water or you dont want to be very specific thats cool. I like to explore and try out different stuff. On the other hand if you do want to be specific please tell me eveything you know. I swear I wont tell a soul....

Thanks

Stay away tons of rattle snakes and poison oak, and very unfriendly home owners along the river....

20 c.f. is to low to fish this water, and keep fish healthy...

There is alot better water around than this little stream...
    Why is it we have to work so hard all week, to try and fish as much as we can in two days? That's just wrong!!!

Default Calaveras

Ok maybe not too many rattlers this time of year but there really is a TON of poison oak. I wish I were joking. I agree with foothill. 20 cfs is too low for this river to fish it and safely release fish. It can be a fun little stream to fish in the spring/summer when the flows are much healthier for the fish. There are some very pretty wild rainbows in the river, very few of them going over much over 7" or 8". (Probably due to the extremely low flows in winter) But they are fun to catch if you can get into a good hatch.

You do need a bay delta stamp and a steelhead report card (seriously doubt there are any steelhead in there but it is anadromous water) Expect to be checked by dfg. Have seen them many times throughout the area. Very friendly officer.

The nearest fly shop is probably Sierra Anglers in Modesto. Camping is available nearby at New Hogan reservoir.

Hope this helps, its a neat little stream that needs some better winter time flows for the health and longevity of the fishery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybinder View Post
    I've been doing a little research and I'm not finding a lot of info on this river. So it's time to ask the experts. I am interested in fishing the lower section below the dam.
    #1 Flows are at 20 cfs right now. Is that to low to fish?
    #2 Whats the nearest fly shop?
    #3 I think I need a bay/delta stamp. True?
    #4 Other special regs. I need to know about.
    #5 Is there decent camping close by?
    #6 Hows the fishing?

You will notice I'm not asking for secret spots or names. If this is your home water or you dont want to be very specific thats cool. I like to explore and try out different stuff. On the other hand if you do want to be specific please tell me eveything you know. I swear I wont tell a soul....

Thanks
    1-yes
    2-lodi
    3-yes
    4-special closed period (after 3/30?- whenever it opens), steelhead report card required, no bait allowed, no retention of natural fish.
    5-New Hogan lake has camping; it also has striper fishing.
    6-seasonally fair for mostly small rainbows on dries when flows are right (60-100 cfs). Some larger fish on small green mayfly nymphs. Steelhead and salmon do run up the stream when flows permit. I think some of the small rainbows are juvenile steelhead, and they outmigrate before they mature.

Accesses are a) through a road to the tailwater upstream of a hard-rock quarry (Silver spring road or something like that), b) a few vacant private lots in the Valley Springs development on the north side of the canyon downstream of the quarry (I can't mention the name(s) or it will become a zoo); or c) you can legally launch and float in a small driftboat from the road crossing in the town Jenny Lind and Shelton Bridge. Other than (a), there is minimal fishing pressure. The canyon substrate is an extremely slippery large green granite boulders; it is very difficult to get around - I tend to follow a very old abandoned flume on the north side about halfway up the canyon slope. It is more cobbly downstream, but then, there is lots of blackberry as well as poison oak everywhere.

Hi Jaybinder,

At flows less than 30 cfs, most of streambed below the dam is covered with dense beds of aquatic weeds at this time-- if you thought that fishing Hot Creek was challenging, you will love fishing here. The previous information is right on the money IMO, especially that DFG wardens regularly check anglers here.

Cheers,
    Salvage

20 is much to low. Bout 100 is prime. Good little river.

Thanks for the info. I knew you guys could help.