Thread: where to fish

Default where to fish

im going to be in lincoln thanksgiving weekend and i was thinking about fishing one day. where would be a good place to go within reasonable distance. i was thinking of hiting the american river for some steelhead but wanted some alternatives in case the steelhead are not biting.

Try the Yuba. Below the bridge of course until December 1. The salmon are pretty much finished, so eggs aren't producing, but there are BWO hatches during the day and caddis late in the day. The usual nymphs are usually productive.

below what bridge?

Hmmmm. Seems you've not been there before.

Hwy 20 crosses the river at Parks Bar--~17 miles east of Marysville. Fishing above the bridge (upstream) is closed until Dec. 1 to acommodate the salmon spawn. Fishing downstream is permitted, still with C & R regs.

You can park under the bridge on Parks Bar Rd on the Marysville side and walk downstream. Or, on the south side of the bridge you can turn off and circle back under the bridge. Then there is a road of sorts--lots of big potholes--that follows the river downstream for several miles. There are several spots with easy access, and other spots that require a modest hike. Don't be tempted to drive out onto the gravel fields unless you have 4wd--even then it is risky.

Lots of fishy water, but catching is another matter.

Good luck.

El ray thanks for the info. yes you are correct i have never fished the yuba river.

One additional note:

If you're not familiar with the Yuba and the salmon redds, the DFG has gone through and painted rocks with flourescent orange opposite the redds. Some of the painted rocks are thrown in the water to better mark the redd. Even without the paint the redds are easy to identify with the whitening on the river bottom, usually in shallow riffles. I trust you know not to wade on the redds, but it needs to be said.

Good luck.

i read on here about the painted rocks that mark the reds. im assuming that wading the yuba is similar to wading the lower sac up here in redding. look for clean spots or large depressions in the shallows.