Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lamson LP Series Reels

Question Lamson LP Series Reels

Hello,

Are there any of you that are using these specific reel models on a regular basis ?

Lamson LP 2

Lamson LP 3

Lamson LP 3.5

If so, would you mind chiming in with which ones you use and the number of reels ( not spools ) that you have of each?
    If you have more than one and are not using them regularly, why is that?

Sorry, not looking for LP Lite owners.

Best, Dave

Are we talking about the LP series of reels that were made in the mid to late 90's? If so, I own an LP 3 and have used it to death over the past 14 years. I used it so much the clutch blew out on a big fish about 2 years ago so I had to send it to Bill Archuleta to repair as Lamson no longer has any parts in stock to repair those reels. With the new repairs I figure I'll get another 10 years of life out of the reel.

Koffler,

Check your P.M.'s

Best, Dave

Default Too many broken clutches

I have an LP 3 and an LP 5. I just replaced the LP 5 used as a spey reel with a Galvan R12. The machining and balance of the LP reels is great but the clutches wear out and break after only a few years and there are not any spare clutches available. I can no longer fish in confidence with these reels without a spare clutch in my vest.

Default LP

after "graduating" from the SA System 1 system, decided the Lamson was worthy to build a system around it. It's been my standby until one of my LP-2 was stolen and I haven't recovered since... meaning I wanted 2 reels with multi spools. Since the theft, I'm hesitate to us it in case of equipment failure and no spare reel. I currently have two LP-3 and only one LP-2. Other system I've grown fond of are the Ross Gunnison and Evolution reels. Lately I've been going retro, - using my 2 piece rods with the old click and paw reels just for the hell of it.

I had two LP 2's and i hated them...too many equipment failures...sold them both on ebay.

I have had numerous LP loved them. I have one that I bought brand new when I worked at Powell Fly Shop in Chico when they first came out. Still have it. I have got rid of my 3.5 on ebay. Nice reels, but as much of the others on the board have explained. Equipment failure. Love the reel, needs a good drag / clutch. When I guide I only use Ross or Bauer, good reels no failures.

In their day these were good reels (~20 years ago?).

Did have some clutch and drag issues with them but other than that they were very durable.

Today many reels have enclosed drags so they stay cleaner.

Again, when the LP reels fail you can mail them to Bill Archuleta for repairs.

I don't think "Lamson/Waterworks" Company works on them any longer.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks for chiming in guys,

A little explanation is in order. This wasn't meant to be a referendum on the popularity or worthiness of Lamson LP's.
    I was going through my old equipment bags and found a stash of LP clutches and a couple of handle assemblies. Rather than just announcing that I had a bunch of parts to give away and starting a free for all. I thought it might be possible to identify a few folks that have LP reels that are not in working order and get those parts to them.

I posted this same basic message on a couple of boards and have now pretty much exhausted the supply.

Best, Dave
    Last edited by Dave E.; 09-07-2011 at 06:36 AM.

Dave -

I appreciate the reel parts you gave me and thanks for dropping them by - if/when the clutch fails again I'll have a replacement!!!

koffler (Jason)