Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trinity River Browns

I landed a brown in the Lower American about a month ago. At first I thought it was a squawfish because of the color. It was just shy of 20" long.
    "Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught."

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    I landed a brown in the Lower American about a month ago. At first I thought it was a squawfish because of the color. It was just shy of 20" long.
    You're so full of it! lol j/k

Last winter I picked up a pair of browns on the Trinity on a steelhead trip. They would have been nice fish on my trout rigs... the steelhead rod made short work of them.

No monsters...
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!

Default Sea Run Browns

A few years back I was returning from a day on the river and passed through the town of Lewiston. As I crossed over the bridge in town I saw several fish rising and thought I'd give it a few more casts before heading back to Redding. I parked almost under the bridge in a very public area and made only a couple of casts before hooking up. Several people came down to watch the show as I played the fish in. As I was fishing steelhead all day I was expecting steelhead again. This fish was in the 3-4 pound range, bright silver like all of the other fresh steelhead, but this one had the classic red spots with halo on both sides.

Right away a couple of people said "that's a sea-run brown". I quickly took a few pictures and turned her loose.

Now, if I can just find those old pre-digital pics I'll show you what I caught.

TONY
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

I picked up a few nice Browns around Junction City last week. Definitely not sea run though

Last edited by BigOkieWhiteBoy916; 11-12-2009 at 01:53 AM.

I caught several nice Browns on the Trinity last year, but this one had much different coloring, a silver tone and a more streamlined shape. I was thinking it could be a sea run brown?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trinity Brown2.JPG 
Views:	303 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	941  
    Last edited by TomV; 11-12-2009 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Changed Picture

big fish man. id love to get into that

Default Sea-Run?

Quote Originally Posted by TomV View Post
    I caught several nice Browns on the Trinity last year, but this one had much different coloring, a silver tone and a more streamlined shape. I was thinking it could be a sea run brown?
    That's what I'm talking about. Just got back from a week up there and no browns, but I did talk at length with Kit, Herb Burton's guide. He agrees with the potadromous description and also thinks there are a few truly anadromous fish, less than in the 70's and 80's, but still a population. What drove my question initially is an experience up by Lewiston in mid-October; to be brief, I was upstream nymphing (no bobber, thank you) a piece of classic brown water and hooked a toad. I had about 30 feet of slack in my off hand and initially thought I'd hooked the bottom. Moving upstream to get a different angle on the obstruction, it started shaking its head and then moved downstream. I'd slipped out all but a few feet of the slack line and almost had him on the reel when he surfaced and rolled; definite Brown but with a silvery tint. I got so excited I pinched down with my rod hand index finger that I was slipping the line with and it popped 2X like it were 5 or 6X. The fished rolled 3X in front of my wife who was about 100' downstream and she got a good look at it. She confirmed the siver sheen and said it was bigger than most of the beat-up spawning salmon in the river. I'd guess it at 12-15 lbs. easy.
    Such are dreams made of.
    Robert