Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do my pheasant tails break?

Default Why do my pheasant tails break?

I'd like to tie more but the tips of my PT tails always snap off after a few casts.

I've tied them with a few different tails. Am I doing something wrong?

_SHig

Pheasant tails are indeed quite weak. But, I suggest you look at your casting stroke first as it sounds like you are breaking them off on your cast. Much like snapping off a fly while casting, you are applying too much force on the cast and only snapping off the tails. But, yes indeed, pheasant tails are pretty fragile. You might try coating them with Flexament to help reinforce them a bit.

Do you load up on the water, or slap water on either casting stroke?

Does the whole tail snap off or just the tips? I've never had the problem even on sizes 20 and smaller. If its the whole tail it could be they're weakened at the tie in point too much but if it's just the tips then that's a more difficult problem. Flexament might help or even something like Tuffcoat might help. You have a pic of your flies by chance, before and after??
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Goofy as it may seem, I had this issue with some tails a long time ago. The shade was perfect and I loved the way they tied, but the tips were very brittle. Someone suggested soaking them in some water with a few drops of hair conditioner for about an hour and it worked like a charm.

Yeah, my casting stroke does leave much to be desired, so that probably doesn't help. I don't "crack the whip" but I'm not immune to hitting water behind me on occasion.

Fly:

I may try some cement or just give up and use biots instead! I also may have crappy feathers...

_SHig

Talking

The 'trick' to using Pheasant tail .....

Take the whole rump-patch (we don't need any stinkin' single tail feathers ...) , roll it up , and stuff it into your mouth . Suck on the Pheasant rump for about 1/2 hour . That should do the job !!

(try the water w/ the hair conditioner ......)

David

LOL David. Shig, have an after picture? The conditioner trick sounds good to me too. Also, how do you remove your tail material? cut or peel? If you're peeling it, it may produce a weak spot where you grabbed it. Also, is that golden pheasant or ring neck tail??
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

"Just a pinch between the cheek and gum..."

_SHig

The tips of pheasant tail fibers are just inherently weak, so everyone has that problem, though casting could make it worse. I'd suggest using something else - turkey, hen back fibers, moose body hair (strongest), etc. It's a real pain when the rest of the fly is in perfect shape, but the tails come off after one fish!