Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Public Access GONE on the Lower Yuba

abcdefghijklmnop
    Last edited by Hogan Brown; 09-16-2011 at 09:11 AM.

Why is SYRCL (a conservation organization that stresses legal public access) teaming up with YOA (a profit making company that does not believe in public access even though it's the law)?????? That part troubles me even more than closure of road access.
    Don't they know that the Yuba is a navigable river from Englebright down to the mouth??? Don't they know that there is a public easement to the river on both sides of the HWY 20 bridge???? They might be able to close road access (which would prevent drift boat access, but not inflatable craft access), but the public easement is there and it's the law.
    Does Western AG have the necessary permits to alter the stream bed to prevent public access??? Again, what they want to do is against the law.
    Again, I really want to know why SYRCL is teaming up with a law breaking entity like YOA???

BTW, I tried sending the above comments above through your referenced link to SYCRL. You can't do it because it's impossible to replicate their anti-spam codes correctly, since you can't tell the difference between upper and lower case alphabets. For example, lower case x looks exactly like Upper Case X on their system. Quite frankly their system sucks.
    Last edited by Bob Laskodi; 10-28-2009 at 12:32 PM.

Hogan,

This is a great April Fools joke.

Problem is: it's October. If this is true, I am speechless. I am sure that you have a better knowledge than most regarding the stick "politics" of that river so if these seems funky to you, that's good enough for me. On the other hand, I really hope that SYRCL isn't getting behind this but words like "matching grant money" scare me. If so, just chalk another one up to conservation organizations continuing to stab those that are most supportive of them right in the back.

What's next, whitewater flows so the kayakers can go over Daguerre??!!

Should make the Film Fest interesting this year....

See ya,
    Mike
    Eat it. Eat it. Simon says EAT IT!!!

abcdefghijklmnop
    Last edited by Hogan Brown; 02-21-2011 at 11:18 AM.

more on this topic:

http://yubanet.com/regional/Western-...-and-SYRCL.php

It sounds like there is still a long way to go before they can even begin. From the above link:

"The timing of the completion of the three phases is unknown at this time because of the funding needs of the project. Western has initiated a Yuba Salmon Enhancement Fund through a "challenge grant" to SYRCL of $50,000 – Western will match SYRCL's fund-raising of the project dollar for dollar for the first $50,000 raised by SYRCL. Obviously, the project will require funding substantially in excess of the initial seed money. The four parties to the Agreement in Principle also must obtain the consent of certain third parties who have varying interests in some of the lands contemplated for the conservation easement."

So SYRCL has to raise $50k to get another $50k and that still won't be enough money for the whole project. Good luck with that.

Anyone know who these "certain third parties" are?

I don't see why they can't provide vehicle access for boat launching through the public easement along/below the bridge.

I bet they have moved quite a bit forward in over a year.

Is there any more info out there?
    Eat it. Eat it. Simon says EAT IT!!!

oops, I just saw Oct. and assumed this year. I can't find anything else about it anywhere? No mention on the SYRCL site. YOA doesn't have a site (that I can find anyway).

Hogan, does YOA still have an active "harassment" program for anglers wading above the HWY 20 bridge? I'm getting too old to hike much, and do prefer floating (haven't been much above the bridge in years) so I am wondering if YOA is still harassing anglers like they used to.

abcdefghijklmnop
    Last edited by Hogan Brown; 02-21-2011 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogan Brown View Post
    bob - Ya I think it is relatively active not like it once was. I don't hike up stream at all anymore...just not a pleasant experiance if you have to deal with Jarvis. I have my spots down stream I go on my own.
    As someone who hikes above the 20 bridge, what exactly is this guy doing? I've yet to run into anyone that was bothered by me being there. I'm not familiar with him at all, is he a land owner?