Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Martis Creek Res Report

Also...

"[4] Martis Creek Reservoir—The Martis Creek Dam was constructed by the COE in 1971 and was intended to store waters from a 40 square mile drainage area to include not only Martis Creek, by the East, West, and Central Martis Creeks as well. In accordance with COE requirements, this reservoir, with a total storage capacity of 20,400 acre-feet, serves only flood control purposes. While legislation allows for other uses, only temporary storage is currently permitted due to an unsafe, leaking dam. Except during flood storage, reservoir outflows equal inflows."

_SHig

SHig, that picture is sweet. Full all the way to 267 and beyond. I'm looking at the traffic jam on the highway and thinking new years 1997. Awesome weather. First, it snowed like it rarely snows. It was one of those where your car is just a white bump in the driveway. And then it rained and rained and rained. Did not stop for three days. Awesome. That dam came in handy then for the folks in reno and sparks.

I fished Martis regularly back when it was full to the highway. The channel by the highway had some great fish in it. Unfortunately Martis is not nearly as good as it used to be. Those are a couple of nice trout SHigSpeed.

Default The day off the water with a little Martis Mixed in...

We were half way there when.....well, I wish I had a photo because they do say a thousand words now don't they.

SHig and I inspect a tire that has decided to shred its tread like snakeskin. The tire had obviously got some critical damage to it when I smashed over some planks of wood in the middle of the road a few weeks earlier.

So donut is on and we go to air it up solid and I just had to check the front tire we had moved from the back to the front. This is when the valve stem gives up its life and releases almost as much air as we did with our corresponding sighs of disbelief. On goes the bad tire. This is about the time Martis started looking good.

It was quite foggy and we miss the turn off for the lake. As we roll on through the fog the "Gate Ahead" signs go unnoticed. We notice a parking lot/pull off to our left that doesn't go unnoticed as we look for a sign or arrow indicating LAKE. The next glance at the road in front of me my headlights reveal a very large gate. By the time we stop I am 2 feet passed it. Needless to say, I could hardly believe this just happened.

CHP stops in and does a report and eventually we make it to the other world (so it seemed after our day off the water up to then)

Visuals:

Fence
    Bye-bye '95 Grand Prix SE
    The trout that refused to complete SHig's hatrick even though I willed them to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fence.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	830   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cardonein.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	831   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA170019a.JPG 
Views:	193 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA170024a.JPG 
Views:	193 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	833   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA170034a.JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	834  

Last edited by Blueracer; 10-19-2009 at 08:16 PM. Reason: more to add

You failed to mention how you pissed off the gods of fish mojo by failing to deal with your jammed seatbelt mechanism, misplaced wallet, and low fuel level!

We might as well have worn banana underpants for the trip.

Seems like me fixing the seatbelt soon after the friendly law enforcement officer left turned the day around - that is until you let your boat go 'a wandering.

_SHig

You gotta love an adventue.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    You gotta love an adventue.
    No doubt! 'Twas a fishing trip that I'll never forget - for all the wrong reasons...

BTW, it's probably more correctly a "Triple Crown", as a "Hat Trick" would be 3 of the same species. My bad... I hate sports.

_SHig

Well put SHig.

Well....At least you guys caught fish. That kind of makes up for the other stuff. It could have been a very bad day if you got skunked.
    If he had it his way nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching it

Quote Originally Posted by SHigSpeed View Post
    Just saw this amazing photo of Martis full!:

Crazy...

_SHig
    That could have been 1997.. That year it snowed like 3 feet on Reno-Sparks and then rained and melted all the snow..The last big flood of the Truckee River..

Martis filled up almost to Highway 267 in 2005-2006 Winters but not like 1997.