Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martis Creek Res Report

Default Martis Creek Res Report

Well, it was a dark and stormy night... Oh, wait...

Blueracer and I were to have hit Davis for a hog-bow fest today, but things didn't QUITE work out. I'll give Bryan some time to confes... er, explain, before I elaborate.

At any rate, instead of getting to Davis, we ended up at Martis instead. I've wanted to fish it for some time, and I'm glad I did. It definitely has the potential for some good fishin'.

Though we left Rocklin around 4:45, this is what the lake looked like when we finally got there. Should've been an hour-point-five drive at worst right?:

Launch time:

So, within minutes of launching, I managed a brownie to kill the skunk. Things were looking up.

The fog eventually lifted:

It was pretty calm until later in the day than I'd've expected. Fishing was fair, and there was some size to be had. I broke off a head-shaking beast, and had a couple other respectable pulls come free. Wind kicked up around noon and wind drifting and kick-trolling upwind was the method that worked for me.

Did I mention it was Bryan and his 'toon's maiden voyage? Yeah, he needs to learn some boat management skills. Would've been a LONG wait and equally long walk to collect this if he had to wait until the wind picked up...

Which brings us to some fish pics. Let's play "one of these things doesn't belong"!

Unfortunately because Bryan hogged all the rainbows, I didn't get the Martis Hat-Trick. He OTOH didn't get any brownies. Next time...

All in all, a great day on the water. Had a blast learning this new water. Anyone care to chime in on if this lake has a "window" or does it fish well throughout the year?

Now, the rest of the day OFF the water, that was a WHOLE different adventure...

_SHig

BTW, Martis is barbless artificial C&R only.

_SHig

Too cool Shig, looks like I might have to go there real soon.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Nice! Pretty cutt.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Loads of those yellow sunfish in Martis (illegal plant years ago, and they have thrived). I think that's what the biggest trout eat, and it's why big green or yellow streamers are productive there.

Those photo's bring back some memories. Nice job.

Re: Anyone care to chime in on if this lake has a "window" or does it fish well throughout the year?

Unless there's been a change in the regulations I've missed ( and that's entirely possible ), both Martis and Milton are open from the last Saturday in April until November 15th.

Best, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E. View Post
    Unless there's been a change in the regulations I've missed ( and that's entirely possible ), both Martis and Milton are open from the last Saturday in April until November 15th.

Best, Dave
    Ah, of course. I meant throughout the available season.

I did get the opportunity to talk to some Army Corps folks there yesterday doing dam core surveys who said their goal was to restore the lake level to 100 year pool, significantly increasing the size of the lake. Apparently they discovered the dam leaked the first time they filled up the lake!

_SHig

Nice report. Enjoyed the pics
    For me, martis fishes best from the opener till june, especially close to the opener. Then suffers the typical summer woes of a small shallow lake, warm and WEEDY. The dam's integrity is in question (fault underneath?) so they only store minimal water. Doing away with it and returning the whole martis drainage to a free tributary of the truckee would be cool in my lifetime.

Thanks for that. BTW, water went from 49 to 52 through the day. Surface weeds are mostly gone with a few remaining clumps.

_SHig

Just saw this amazing photo of Martis full!:

Crazy...

_SHig