Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Creek Hopper II Pram

Default Spring Creek Hopper II Pram

Hi Folks

I just bought a used Spring Creek Hopper II (8 foot model) pram.

http://www.springcreekprams.com/8hopper.htm

It's ten years old but in great shape other than being kind of weathered from being stored outdoors. Right now I am refinishing the walnut-plugged ash gunwales. I've got one side done, sanded it down to bare wood with 80, then 150, then 220 grit, and put on a coat of tung oil (recommended by Jim at Spring Creek to refinish them). I will put on a couple more coats of tung oil, but you have to wait 24 hours between coats. I think it looks way way better now!

Unfortunately it looks like whoever refinished the gunwales last time slopped varnish on 'em with a floor mop. There are big ugly yellow varnish drips down both sides on the inside. Dunno if I can get that stuff off or not. Need something that will remove it without hurting the fiberglass.

I've wanted a pram for a while, and in fact was considering ordering this exact one, even down to the color and all the options (forest green with ivory "splash web" gelcoat, two carry handles on the stern and one on the bow, "Pocket Puller" anchor davits front & rear, trolling motor wiring setup with the battery under the pedestal seat, spare rod holders, Scotty flyrod holder). It even came with two 8lb mushroom anchors.

This boat, if I had it built new and shipped to me would have been almost $2400, which is quite a bit more than I wanted to spend. Bought this one for $500 and am doing the TLC part now.

Pics of the work in progress are at:

http://michaelnel.smugmug.com/Boats/...83387335_ogDbL

I ordered composite oars and a pram dolly from Spring Creek, and a factory refurb Minn Kota Endura 30 from Cabela's, and a group 24 deep cycle marine battery.

The maiden voyage (with me as the skipper) will be Nov 15th at Baum Lake. Sure glad I won't be in my float tube!

Last edited by michaeln; 10-17-2009 at 06:49 PM.

michaeln, welcome aboard!

That's going to be one sweet setup when you're done, especially considering the price. Looking forward to more pictures.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker View Post
    michaeln, welcome aboard!

That's going to be one sweet setup when you're done, especially considering the price. Looking forward to more pictures.
    Hopefully I'll be able to post some of me with the pram at Baum, holding a big trout!

For an 8' pram this thing sure is roomy. It has a 56" beam and is 44" across the bottom on the inside, and the sides are 16.5" tall.

Sweet looking ride. I really like the color.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    Sweet looking ride. I really like the color.
    I like the color too. It's pretty subdued right now because it is weathered and not glossy. I could polish the gelcoat on the hull and the green would get darker and shinier, but heck, it's a fishing boat, and the dull finish is probably preferable.

I'm refinishing the gunwales not to make it pretty, but because I want the wood protected from the elements. Not much you could do to this boat to make it pretty anyway.

Spring Creeks are the cats meow of small prams, nice. I think I can safely say you will not miss the winter time float tubing.

Welcome to the pram world Michaeln.

That one's a beauty.

Except for protecting the materials I wouldn't worry about looks too much. Old battle scars just add character.

I have an 8ft Metalhead pram, and I love that boat.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Congratulations.........

We started fishing out of small 8 foot TP&L fiberglass tri-hull prams in the 1970s.

I use to sell them at my old shop across the street from here.

Once, we all ordered one with a total of 8 shipped to the shop at one time.

I think they we $300?

Prams are so cool.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks guys. I almost bought a pontoon boat, but it has about as many hassles as a float tube.

With a pram, no costume is required. Set it in the water, go fish. I like that. Since I bought a dolly for it from Spring Creek, I will be able to do all the rigging on dry land (put the trolling motor on, put the battery in, put the oars and anchors in, dump the fishing gear in) at my car, then roll it down to the water, throw the collapsable dolly in and take off.

As an older guy with Type II diabetes, what I am REALLY looking forward to is being able to drink as much as I want (not talking about alcohol here) and take care of the disposal of same discretely, without having to go back to shore, a major PITA in a float tube with waders and flippers on.

I LOVE the Civic topper! Anything is possible...

LOVE it...

_SHig