Thread: Shasta Area Updated Fishing Report

Default Shasta Area Updated Fishing Report

The biggest news is that the Lower Sac has completely blown out. We may never have seen such muddy water on this Trophy Trout gem, particularly in the upper river. The mud appears to be coming from the Keswick Dam area and will likely take days if not weeks to clear and become fishable.

The storm hampered fishing on local freestones such as the Upper Sac, McCloud and Pit for a few days but they are clear, dropping rapidly and again fishable. Traffic has been light on all rivers but is increasing as folks head out for their trout season finale. The October Caddis are out and the fish are on 'em!

The Pit continues to have access and flow issues including muddy water and dramatic increases big enough to force anglers to swim back across, but when it is open and clear folks have enjoyed epic days. The Fall River has been fishing well with dry fly hatches increasing daily.

Early Steelhead runs have arrived and this weather has pushed some very strong runs on the Klamath and Trinity Rivers upstream. These are superb rivers to learn the art of steelheading and now is the time to schedule your trip particularly if you are interested in finding fish on the swing. For a complete report check ours out online at ShastaTrout.com.
    Craig Nielsen

rumor has it a mine tailing pond blew out and that is what caused the river to blow out...not sure yet on the details

This is a major bummer becuase I was seeing the best numbers of fish right before the storm. Plenty of other options, though.
    Capt. Darrin Deel
    www.acflyfishing.com

i was having one of the best fishing days of my life and I literally watched the river blow out...clear one minute chocolate 15 minutes later...it was weird

My clients cancelled so I decided to go out and drift by myself and walk/wade a few sections. I caught three fish in a matter of thirty-five minutes in the run near the bluffs just down from the posse grounds......then watched the water turn to chocolate. Decided to call it a day and take out at aqua golf. I felt like the old man in the sea with white caps on the golf pond. I got a work out none the less as I rowed the entire shoreline back around to the boat ramp. I was trinity bound afterthat.

todd

Default Lower Sac

The Lower Sac is clearing and in a few more days it should be on fire. A little cloudiness in the water will make it optimum as the trout will be less boat and leader shy. Prior to the storm on the 13th, we completely hammered em on top from Posse to the channels. Egg patterns, bird's nest and princes. Hooked 50...landed 25....biggest 5 lbs. I love this time of year on the Lower Sac. Get up there if you can!

Default Lower Sac clearing and fishing well

Fishing on the Lower Sac has returned to near normal, which means the catching is good. Water is still a bit off color but visibility has increased to about 4 or 5 feet. I fished the Lower Sac yesterday with a single guest and we also had a large group with several different guides fishing it late last week and over the weekend.

Yesterday the bite was a bit slow in the morning but picked up all day with fish coming both on egg patterns and caddis pupa. Most fish were in the 17-21 inch range with a couple a bit smaller and one six incher that gave us a good chuckle. Earlier in the week a few larger fish were landed including one that made a thick twenty incher we boated a few moments later look puny. We hope to have a complete updated report covering all the local area waters later this week.

We hope you can get out soon and often. Feel free to drop a line, we're happy to share all we can.
    Craig Nielsen