Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Glo bugs

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeRevel View Post
    1st Glo Bug is a fly. hook + yarn + thread= one really effective fly. And yes its still a fly on the end of a spinning rod.

Shawn I have watched 2 guys on the AR with an 6-7 SGS weights on a 9ft leader pulling down their fist size yarnies at sunrise. Didn't matter what they had on even if was a humpy, that is a snagging rig. I called over the game warden who was sitting in his truck down the road. Some guys just need a tug whatever the cost. Most of the guys I see indo fishing on the AR seem pretty inexperienced and most likely don't know any better.

About a year ago I ran into this almost exact situation (after the 1st story above). This guy had just walked right through where i was swinging to about 6 ft from the far bank. I had just started swinging the near edge of the bucket so I was a little bummed that I didn't get to swing it. but its just fishing so I kept my cool and chatted the guy up a little bit and asked if I could help him out. I re-rigged him to a 4 ft indo rid with small copper john rubberleg and a globug with 1 bb. I told him about the steelheads journey and where they like to hold. Explained that his rig would be prone snagging fish, and that if he walked in on a hole that WJorg was on like he did to me he might be killed.

I helped him for about three hours and he landed 4 nice 4-5 lbs steelies (more than I would have caught swinging anyway) He later admitted to me he went to the orvis store and that was the rig they showed him. he was a steelhead virgin. This guy now has fished BC twice and has new respect for DA CHROME.

This experienced changed my approach. When I see people snagging, flossing, bamboozleing, molesting, or engaging in pure tom foolery with fly rod I assume they want something better (after all they are using a fly line not a spinning rod with a lead wrapped treble hook). Assume ignorance and see if you can help them.

Fishing is fun! Don't bash people for not having the same respect for the chrome you have. Help them understand why you do.
    Sometimes when I read these posts I get frustrated, both at the know it all self righteous people and those who are ignorant or just don’t care. Then I read something like what George wrote and it keeps me coming back. Very well put.

That's a nice story, unfortunately, not all folks are like that guy you talked too. Some are fully aware of there misdeads and play stupid when confronted. You definately crossed paths with an angler that is also a good person. I have seen blatant snaggers that in the evening, turn into wanna be gang bangers, that will not listen to a word you say. There are times when the AR is an ugly place. Just use wise discreation when confronting people out there. Not worth breaking a knuckle on someones jaw.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeRevel View Post
    1st Glo Bug is a fly. hook + yarn + thread= one really effective fly. And yes its still a fly on the end of a spinning rod.

Shawn I have watched 2 guys on the AR with an 6-7 SGS weights on a 9ft leader pulling down their fist size yarnies at sunrise. Didn't matter what they had on even if was a humpy, that is a snagging rig. I called over the game warden who was sitting in his truck down the road. Some guys just need a tug whatever the cost. Most of the guys I see indo fishing on the AR seem pretty inexperienced and most likely don't know any better.

About a year ago I ran into this almost exact situation (after the 1st story above). This guy had just walked right through where i was swinging to about 6 ft from the far bank. I had just started swinging the near edge of the bucket so I was a little bummed that I didn't get to swing it. but its just fishing so I kept my cool and chatted the guy up a little bit and asked if I could help him out. I re-rigged him to a 4 ft indo rid with small copper john rubberleg and a globug with 1 bb. I told him about the steelheads journey and where they like to hold. Explained that his rig would be prone snagging fish, and that if he walked in on a hole that WJorg was on like he did to me he might be killed.

I helped him for about three hours and he landed 4 nice 4-5 lbs steelies (more than I would have caught swinging anyway) He later admitted to me he went to the orvis store and that was the rig they showed him. he was a steelhead virgin. This guy now has fished BC twice and has new respect for DA CHROME.

This experienced changed my approach. When I see people snagging, flossing, bamboozleing, molesting, or engaging in pure tom foolery with fly rod I assume they want something better (after all they are using a fly line not a spinning rod with a lead wrapped treble hook). Assume ignorance and see if you can help them.

Fishing is fun! Don't bash people for not having the same respect for the chrome you have. Help them understand why you do.
    taking notes on that snagging rig... and politeness
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010

Default Steelhead....

George,.... Great post. Informative, good perspective, no attitude. Thanks.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by mr. 3 wt. View Post
    That's a nice story, unfortunately, not all folks are like that guy you talked too. Some are fully aware of there misdeads and play stupid when confronted. You definately crossed paths with an angler that is also a good person. I have seen blatant snaggers that in the evening, turn into wanna be gang bangers, that will not listen to a word you say. There are times when the AR is an ugly place. Just use wise discreation when confronting people out there. Not worth breaking a knuckle on someones jaw.
    Agreed..... Would like to think more of our peers.... That being said you can tell the ones that there is hope for.... Generally.
    Fish when you can.......Cast when when you cant!

Consensus is glo bugs are flies, I agree. I think traditionally a fly is still looked at as being tied with fur, hair and feathers, but with the introduction of all the man made synthetics and materials even the most entrenched traditionalists are dabbling with the new stuff and becoming more accepting.

Since glo bugs is the topic it was a gimme that the flossers, liners, beaders or whatever name is given for snaggers would enter the discussion. Intent is key here because lots of people swing things on long leaders thru salmon spawning areas including the fly guys. Its sooner rather than later you will foul hook something where fish are stacked up no matter what equipment you choose to use. Sure, there are those with bad intentions and they are usually in the same spots year after year and easy to spot. I choose to believe by far most of the people scattered up and down our rivers are legit and probably love chasing steelhead as much as the rest of you, they may not choose the gear and setup you endorse but I can't figure why people would let that make even a blip in their day.